Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

oil in coolant 1968 D7E

texaschad25 ยท 2016-09-15 00:35

I'm getting oil in the coolant on my 68 D7E 48A10837. Changed the oil cooler and that didn't help. Oil in the crankcase is fresh and black and hasn't dropped in level on the dipstick. Engine runs great with no problems. Any idea where this oil may be coming from?? The water-oil mix coming out of the radiator looks like mud. As I said, the engine runs great and doesn't miss a beat, so I'm at a loss as to where to look now. Thanks guys!

Replies4
  1. #1Old Magnet2016-09-15 01:00

    You said changed the oil cooler. Did that include both engine and transmission oil coolers? What about transmission oil level? Are you losing oil there, got to be coming from somewhere.

  2. #2tctractors2016-09-15 02:03

    That looks to me to be transmission oil, did you change this cooler? tctractors.

  3. #3kshansen2016-09-15 08:03

    Yes too clean looking for engine oil would be more grey that the brown I see in that picture. Along with a good flushing of the cooling system the transmission will need some attention to get the coolant that is most likely in there also.

  4. #4texaschad252016-09-15 08:18

    I'm heading out to take a look at the transmission cooler. I'm hoping that it's not too big of a pain to take off. I appreciate all of your comments. I will post my findings later.