Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5M … again

RedKnuckles · 2024-06-10 11:27

Greetings Dirt pushers, I’ve had a D5m for a very long time that recently has been getting a lot of use. It’s does have an intermittent “lunge” or hard engagement in forward or reverse I never paid attention to it until now. So sorry. The steering has not been calibrated in a decade. Recent full fluid service and filters with less that 100 hours. Current codes 030 271F05 113 298F02 113 672F02 I thought one was for a backup alarm disconnected One thing very peculiar is that the parking brake light on dash with come one intermittently, if you fully depress the brake pedal 3 times the light will go out every time. Wanting to put some money in the machine and get it back in good shape. Thank you , I can get PIN later can’t find it close by

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2024-06-10 11:41

    Are they all Active.? 030 271F05 - Action Alarm (buzzer). Current below normal. 113 298F02 - Service brake pedal switch status incorrect. The ECM detects the switch as open circuit when the service brake pedal sensor indicates that the pedal is near the floor. At this point the switch contacts should be closed. 113 672F02 - Converter output speed sensor (transmission input speed) - data erratic, intermittent, or incorrect. Could affect transmission shift quality. By the sounds of your symptoms maybe you should check the condition/adjustment of the service brake pedal switch position. Calibrating the tranmission clutches might solve the "lunge" problem.

  2. #2RedKnuckles2024-06-10 11:50

    Thank you for replying to a newbie. I believe they are all active, will find out tomorrow. Is the service brake pedal switch underneath inside the square box above the brake pedal? Many years ago I replaced the transmission input speed sensor via service mechanic. I believe it was under the floor panel forward left area. But machine was never calibrated.

  3. #3Nige2024-06-10 11:56

    If the SERV CODE icon on the RH side of the Monitor window is lit up when a particular Code is showing in the window then that of the three Code is active. You'll have to scroll through each Code in turn to check. Yes. There is a rotary position sensor for the brake pedal on the RH side, the brake pedal switch (which causes the park brake to apply when the brake pedal is pushed to the floor) is on the left side. The switch is indicated in red, the sensor is #4.

  4. #4Nige2024-06-10 11:58

    About time it was done then.

  5. #5RedKnuckles2024-06-10 12:01

    I’d like to find a buy the clicker box, 4c-1895. Hard to find. Not sure what a remote service CAT service call would cost for the calibration! Been following your threads for years as a benchwarmer. Will take a look tomorrow at some point out on job. Probably just order the brake switch

  6. #6Nige2024-06-10 14:30

    If you look in the Shop Talk forum there is a thread about the click box. You can build your own or in extremis just use 2 pieces of automotive wire (posts 50-52 on page 3) There is a troubleshooting procedure for the brake switch. I’ll try to find it and post it up. TBH it could just as easily be a wiring problem and replacing the switch would do no good at all.

  7. #7Nige2024-06-10 14:38

    Attached the procedure. Follow that and it will direct you to what's wrong. EDIT: I've added the other two as well.

  8. #8RedKnuckles2024-06-10 17:26

    Thank you, JC, I’ve always assumed the brake/ steering calibration procedure done with a Laptop?

  9. #9Nige2024-06-11 05:23

    No you can do it with a Click Box, it’s just a bit clunkier than using a laptop. You’ll need the procedure. I’ll try to find it.

  10. #10Nige2024-06-17 05:31

    Here's the procedure to do the calibration with a Click Box. Steering/Brake calibration Mode on a D5M is Mode 6, then you have to get into the various submodes to do each calibration. See the first section of Table 2 in the attachment.