can anyone tell me where is the drain plug for the transmission fluid on a D5M cat dozer
It is the only plug under the back end of the cat, should be a flat plug maybe 2" in diameter with a square drive in the center of it for a breaker bar. They are recessed into a bore to protect it when the machine is bottomed out and the space between the outside of the plug and inside of the bore can be packed full of dirt and rust so they can be hard to get out. I usually dig as much of that out as I can then try a big breaker bar on it. When that fails I try an impact gun and when that fails I heat with a torch and then use the impact. There is a valve inside to keep the oil from coming out when you remove the plug, to get the oil out I use a pipe nipple ( I think 1") screwed in there. It isn't fast but works, I am not sure what Cat uses to open the valve but I suspect it works better. Be careful if you heat with the torch and then use a gun, there is a little oil in there that can sling off the threads and burn you, don't ask me how I know that!
You nailed it, we use a 1" pipe nipple. Cat calls it an "ecology drain" and they do have some special (and pricey) fittings for them but all the ones I have encountered can be opened with a 1" pipe nipple, and if you want to get fancy you can slip a piece of hose on there with a hose clamp to guide the oil into a collection container if the drain is in an awkward place.
Thanks JD, always wondered about that! I like the setup, keeps the oil baths to a minimum.
thank yall yes that was the prob we didnt know you had to have an adapter to make oil come out so we thought we had the wrong plug
k got a question if a dozer had water get in to transmission and now it wont go into reverse is there any fix to that besides a new transmission
And if this one is like the one on one of the 980G's we had sometimes the valve assembly will come out with the drain plug! Then the trick is getting the parts off the drain plug and putting it back together! Overall it is a good design just this one machine that like to be a problem!
Good to know Hansen, will watch out for that!