Alright guys, I searched high and low but haven’t found anything pertaining to my issue. If I missed it, I apologize and someone can point me in the right direction. I currently have a D5M (believed 1998 serial: 5ES00405) that I have been running for a few years. The 4 gauge cluster has fluttered a handful of times in that time period, but now it has stopped operating altogether. The hour meter side of the panel still works as it should, and the gauges do a “half sweep” when the key is switched on, but they all go back to “zero” for the remainder of the operating time. I know these machines are rumored to be electrical nightmares, just hoping someone has some insight before I have to start trying to make myself a mechanical gauge setup. Thanks.
I think I would start by tilting dash out if I remember right there is only a couple bolts at the bottom and check plugs behind the gauge moniter
If you want an electrical schematic appropriate to your Serial Number you can have one. Just ask.
I have checked those previously to see if they were loose or corroded and everything seemed to be ok there.
That would be great if you wouldn’t mind.
I once had this problem. There turnes out to be a broke wire on the monitor configururation plug. That was a 2 day escapade.
Already done. See Grid B-5 on Page 2 of the schematic.
I need to limp it through the end of the job it’s on and get it back to the shop so I can chase wires a little better I guess.
The fact that the gauges all sweep during the key on self-test indicates that they are physically working. Something must be up with the signals coming to them or the way the gauge cluster interprets those signals. for one gauge to fail points at that gauge, for all four to fail something common is affecting theie operation. TBH I like Tyler's suggestion as a first step.
Is there anything associated to how far they sweep? I know when working correctly they full sweep (empty to full). But now they half sweep (empty to half or straight up position and back down). I didn’t know if there may be a certain signal it looks for in association to how far they sweep when the ignition is first switched on.
I was taking the fact that the gauges moved at all as evidence that they were working. I may be wrong in that. However all the gauges are sweeping to the same extent, so whatever is affecting them is affecting them all in exactly the same way despite the fact that they monitor four different parameters. I think I would go straight for the Code Plug that Tyler mentioned and check it out before proceeding further.