I have a D5M LGP and would like to know what other Cat machines used the same undercarriage or maybe just certain undercarriage parts as I am checking out auctions and see some parts out there, some listed for D5M or D4H, maybe rollers from one machine are the same as mine. I don't need an undercarriage right away so time is on my side to find a good price. Also some day I will sell this machine and am thinking at least Cat chains would help to sell it as opposed to aftermarket. Maybe Cat chains and aftermarket rollers, pads and idlers? I recieved a quote for all Cat stuff, anyone care to guess the amount? Your thoughts? Thanks
I would recomend putting out a need to locate on rock&dirt it is free and there's normally a lot of replies very promplty. make sure you put the info in the details and dont rely on the dropdown menues because you will get a lot of calls about questions otherwise, i will also request good used quotes and some reply with used some with new.....last week I sent a need to locate and within 12 hours i had 15bids to answer the orig post Q' I dont know the answer to that and I dont mean to de-rail your thread here but here is my thoughts on aftermarket vs oem I dont frown on aftermarket bottoms, Personally I don't care about brand when i buy a used machine I just look at the life remaining, I will neither run away from a aftermarket bottom nor will i pay extra for a factory bottom...... HOWEVER If i ordered a new D6T and it came in with ITP when I payed for systemone I would be pissed lol. I've seen the whole oem vs aftermarket debate and have been on both sides of the table myself and from what i can see the ones that are "oem only" kinda guys strike me as being able to fall in one of these categories ..... Arm Chair operator, operator NOT owner, a one machine show and the guy has nothing else to spend money on, A large outfit that doesnt care about money, or a guy that believes everything he reads or that his CaT salesman tells him...... Hell I'm not even sure that CAT makes there own botttoms anymore ?? just curious but what was the CaT quote you recieved ? Pj
$12,300 is my guess
$18000, they have a program now where they will install the undercarriage at no charge(but they will charge for drilling out broken bolts or other such inconveniences shop rate) and will give the machine a free inspection, I guess to look for other stuff to fix to charge you for. Of course you also have to haul your machine to their shop. I'm north of your border so we get soaked good for everything here. I plan on doing the work myself so when it is stripped down it will also get painted. Maybe I will keep this D5M if I get enough work, I have enough of my own work for 2 years for it. I had a crawler with ITR rails and sprocket segments a few years ago and had no complaints. Thanks for the Rock and Dirt tip!
Off the top of my head, d4h uses much of the same stuff, I'm sure rollers fit many others would have to check, rails, all rollers, hardware, pads, idlers, sprockets....around 11500.00 Mike
Amen.....dealerships brainwash people on the whole oem there is a lot of products not manufactured by caterpillar now days, you nailed it on the last part of your comment...most of the time the person with the strong opinion it's not their money or they have one machine that runs 10 hours a year..... Mike
In answer to the OP's question - D4H, D5M, & D5N (plus the pipelayer versions 561H, 561M, 561N). I have strong opinions about undercarriage and my machines run on average 6-7000 hours a year - so I'm at the other end of the scale to the guy who runs his machine around the farm for a few hours a year. Simple fact is that for that type of operating hours the best (read lowest) cost/operating hour on undercarriage on our Cat tractors is with Cat parts, and believe me over the years I've been with companies who've tried every aftermarket brand under the sun, often times because they had a hard-on for Cat or the specific dealership serving them because they felt they were being gouged on price. The parts were not at all cheap, that I will agree on, but at the end of the day the cost/hour numbers convinced them it made sense to go back. I realize for a smaller operation the initial purchase cost is a big factor, bigger operations don't see it that way, they just see it as part of the cost of doing business. Commenting on the fact that "Cat don't make their own parts" - well as regardings undercarriage they never have going back pretty much to the Year Dot. All their parts come from outside suppliers, just made to Cat designs and specifications.
Cat makes track links in Peoria, or did when I toured the plant.
Nige, I agree with you 100%! I'm Not and arm chair operator, I own More than one machine, but I do Like to spend my money where it does the most for me. My Cat's will never, Never have anything but Cat bottoms on them. And that's fifty years in the business experience speaking. Thank you very much.
Sorry I was thinking more of the large tractors like D9 and up. My bad.
Not to get us off track here but...... Anyone know if rock guards are interchangeable between the D5M, D5N, & D4H?
I'm no master tech, Only been in the game a few years but I figured I'd try to pitch in what little knowledge I can offer. At my dealer we sell cat undercarriage components as well as ITR. Most of the machines we put ITR components on are high hour trade in machines that are getting sold usually at auction. They seem to be like the cheap CP buckets we put on machines sometimes. everything doesn't always fit exactly like it should and doesn't last nearly as long. often have trouble with kinked links as well. I don't get any seat time as far as working machines but I just figured i'd include what little I have seen.
If my memory serves me correctly, they were making 6,7 and 8 track links. I agree with you and the others, Cat parts are more expensive up front but worth it in the long run. I have always ran Cat GET as well.