Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

john deere 450j

thetabop ยท 2014-01-27 22:19

I have a JD 450J, and when i use it under heavy strain in temperatures over about 24c (75f), it over heats. this only seems to happen when i have the machine under heavy strain such as deep ripping hard ground (i have large single shank ripper attached to it), or pushing dirt at high speed to make fire breaks, I am wondering if there is something wrong with the cooling system or if this is normal?

Replies7
  1. #1Delmer2014-01-28 10:20

    I'd say that's a pretty cool temp to be overheating, is that Victoria in Canada or Ozz??? Have you checked the basics? can you see the tubes are clear inside the radiator? can you see clearly through the radiator and any other coolers? belt tight? Have you checked the temps of water and air going into and out of the radiator when it's overheating?

  2. #2R&R repair2014-01-28 11:44

    do the hydraulics and hydrostats run hot as well? or just the engine?(i may can help you with this i worked for a deere dealer in field service for 10 yrs) before going out on my own?

  3. #3Delmer2014-01-28 13:40

    Good point. Also, how long have you had the machine and when did the problem start? Anybody mess with it?

  4. #4thetabop2014-01-28 16:14

    bought the machine 2nd hand recently, i did notice it did run pretty hot when i was doing more casual work like cleaning up trees, but even then it was around 35c and didnt quite over heat. no one would have tampered with it since i bought it the rest of the machine does warm up but doesn't seem to run too hot, typically the fuel runs around 50c, manafold air is around 70 with hydraulic and transmission fluid around 80-90 (this is on a warm day when the machine is over heating). but the engine is around 110C i haven't checked the temperature apart from the display which shows fuel, manafold air, trans and hyd fluid, coolant and engine, which seem to be the same thing anyways. i work in very very dusty conditions and whenever i start it and turn the revs up a huge plume of dust shoots up out of the radiator. i am going to try to blow the radiator out a bit with an air compressor but i don't think that it will do much as it already haa pretty powerful blast of air running through it all the time and i am in Australia

  5. #5Delmer2014-01-28 20:13

    I'd guess the dust is the answer. Blow it out and then hose it out and keep washing until the water runs off the machine clean. I'd say take the radiator off but apparently this has side by side oil cooler and charge air cooler so they don't block the front of the radiator. 110C=230F which isn't that hot, are you getting coolant overflowing or an alarm? Do you use antifreeze there, what strength, and have you tried flushing it? Check that all the foam is in place around the fan shroud and the fan isn't reversed.

  6. #6thetabop2014-01-28 20:33

    I cleaned it out with the air compressor and it helped a lot. just spent a few hours on it and it didnt go over 97c. At 113c an alarm sounds and the stop engine light comes on. I am using coolant, i cant remember exactly what sort it is but its what was suggested in the manual.

  7. #7NWH2014-01-29 09:32

    I have a 2006 550J LGP and have noticed that it is very sensitive to dust in the cooling fins of the radiator. I see the next series of J models have more in the engine covers and hood. I have to be careful when it`s 90f or above outside.