I have a D5MXL SER.# 6GN01418, The right FTC lever has no resistance like it did and will not stop the track. The left has the resistance when you pull up the FTC lever . There are no codes and looking at the SIS looks like it's the Gear that the lever mounts on ? Heard if I only replace the gear and put the original sensor back on ? will not have to have it calibrated ? Any thoughts or help much appreciated. Thanks Kevin
If you pull the FTC control apart to install a service kit it will require mechanical adjustment and then electronic re-calibration of the control afterwards. See attachment. I suggest that you check prices because the last time I looked it was more cost-effective to actually replace the complete unit rather than try to rebuild an existing one. Setting is done using a Click Box - see the thread about it in the Shop Talk Section and come back if you have any questions. Procedures I probably have kicking around somewhere.
Nige, Thanks as always helping us out. I talked to Cat parts and they did order the rebuilt kit for the gear, I had them change to a complete one as you suggested which will be cheaper in the long run. As far as calibrating ? even have to if only changing the FTC gear for the right side ? The steering worked will nothing hard pretty smooth. It has 4962 hrs and the clutches are original. I do have a click box from CAT, only used it to clear old codes. Would won't to have a step by step procedure, do not won't to miss up. Can have CAT come out and calibrate it if needed. I will look in shop talk. Thanks again
Even if you install a complete new unit it will still require calibration. If you already have a Click Box that's 90% of the battle right there.
Nige, Thanks again and will look up the procedure and give it a try. Will let u know
I don't think you will find the actual procedure in that thread, but I found it on my computer. I would suggest the following. After the new FTC is installed, operate the machine and see how it performs. Report your findings.
Nige, will do heading up this weekend to install and operate it per your suggestion. Will get back sunday night.
Nige, Replaced the right FTC gear and installed the original Sensor on it. Ran the cat and steers great, pretty smooth, no codes. Checked sub menu 8 before and after which was -25.5 with my click box. have not used it or really know how. Thinking of replacing the left gear ? your thoughts much appreciated.
You'll probably see a distinct difference now between the two controls. The new one will be "tight" and responsive, the old one likely less so. If this bothers you then go ahead and replace the other one, it's your money. Me, I'd wait until it got to the point where I told myself "I really have to replace that" ..........