Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5mxl paddle steering clunking

Moffett cr. ยท 2018-07-30 10:29

I have a D5mxl with the paddle steering, when I go to turn it clunks .Almost seems like it gets full pressure immediately and hits hard. Finals are all new brakes and clutches and have been calibrated. I was told it was probably solenoids in the steering valves which are under the seat. Electric over hydraulic ? Ser# 6gn01571

Replies8
  1. #1Catskinner8122018-08-03 12:23

    When you say the brakes are calibrated do you mean the machine was on jackstands and they went through the process of calibrating the paddle controls? I had a d5mxl that started doing the same thing you are saying yours is doing and a neighbor of mine that also happened to be a cat mechanic calibrated the controls for me while I was finishing up a job elsewhere. I did not see him do it but he did tell me that he had to get the machine on stands and operate the paddles In a certain sequence I believe but do not know 100% for sure

  2. #2Nige2018-08-04 05:01

    Just to rule out any potential major catastrophe internally, put each final drive with the magnetic plug at the 12 o'clock posotion, pull it, and see what it contains. Post photos.

  3. #3Moffett cr.2018-08-04 09:08

    We have rebuilt both final drives

  4. #4Nige2018-08-04 10:27

    Did the clunking start immediately after the final drives were rebuilt..? What was the reason the final drives had to be rebuilt..? Genuine Cat parts used in the rebuild or aftermarket..? Have you inspected the mag plugs since the rebuild to see what material is on them..?

  5. #5Moffett cr.2018-08-04 10:55

    Clunk was the reason we rebuilt finals, yes cat parts. Have not run but one hour since rebuild. This is a paddle steer, we are thinking it may be in the elec/hyd valve solenoids?

  6. #6Nige2018-08-04 11:29

    When the finals were stripped for rebuild did you find anything worn, damaged, etc, etc..? I agree that a steering clutch & brake calibration would be a good starting point. TBH I probably would have done that before pulling the finals, especially if the mag plugs had shown nothing untoward. Do you have a Click Box or can you get access to one..? You can even build one yourself, it's not hard. Mark250 of this parish posted a "how to" on HEF a while ago. You can find it in post #37 of this thread .... HeavyEquipmentForums

  7. #7Moffett cr.2018-08-04 15:32

    Finals had a few rough looking plates and the big brass bearing was a bit sloppy.I don't no what a click box is?

  8. #8Nige2018-08-04 15:50

    I assume you didn't have the transmission & bevel gear group out also..? I'd have been interested to see what the bevel gear side of it looked like. I posted the link above and quoted a post # of a "how to make a Click Box", otherwise known as a 4C-8195 Service Tool. You'll need one to do the calibrations unless you bring someone in from outside to do the job for you.