Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Will D9H tracks fit on D9G?

408interceptor ยท 2018-07-29 23:26

Will D9H tracks work on a D9G?

Replies23
  1. #1Bluox2018-07-29 23:59

    Should ,10.25 pitch. Bob

  2. #2408interceptor2018-08-01 13:25

    Thanks Bob

  3. #3408interceptor2018-08-01 13:53

    Changing the transmission oil on my D8H, serial # in the 9000's. A small amount ( maybe half a cup ) of clear water came out the threads of the drain plug as it was being unscrewed. To me the old oil didn't look milky and the machine, for what little use it gets does not use coolant and operates normally. Same thing with the torque converter, maybe half a cup of clear water. My dozer sits out side without any kind of cover and the fill plug and dipstick are in place. I need some opinions on this before I fill the transmission with fresh oil. Also I found an oil company that still has the older 30 wt. TO-2 torque oil for transmissions, is this something I could use or do I need to buy the TO-4 oil? My D8 has become more of a lawn ornament than anything else but I still want to keep it maintained and operational.

  4. #4408interceptor2018-08-01 13:55

    It's a powershift

  5. #5408interceptor2018-08-01 14:21

    Almost forgot, I drained the bevel gear compartment and found the remains of a small spring. I used a piece of wire to fish out the remains. Could that spring be a bearing retainer?

  6. #6Bluox2018-08-01 18:54

    To-2 oil will be fine that's what was specked for it. As for the water as long as it's clear likely condensation no problem. when you drain oil clean torque divider screen and check hose and clamps on transmission pump pickup tube. Bob

  7. #7Bluox2018-08-01 18:56

    Got a picture? What all is in your mag screen? Bob

  8. #8408interceptor2018-08-01 19:10

    Bob, Where is the torque divider screen? I plan on opening up and cleaning the two transmission filters under the deck plates. Are those filters a disposable element or reusable wire screen and are there gaskets I need to buy for reassembly? I'll find that spring and post a pic of it. Thanks for the help, Hans.

  9. #9408interceptor2018-08-01 19:17

    One other thing, there's a ninety degree elbow with two bolts on each end that goes from the transmission to the rear case, is that the suction and should I take it apart and clean it if it is? Will I need gaskets if it is?

  10. #10Bluox2018-08-01 19:42

    The torque screen is right above the drain plug, the cover with 5 3/8s bolts replace the gaskets .The pump screen may still be in the transmission under the flange where the pump suction tube hooks up bottom right on transmission case, replace gaskets. If there is a square filter in front of transmission pump that will be pump screen ,clean screen and replace seals on top and bottom. Transmission filter is replaced and seals. You may also have a screen on your oil cooler ,clean and replace seals. your machine may have a steering pump and filter on the left side ,change filter and seals. You need a parts book or maybe your Cat store can print you some pictures. Good luck Bob

  11. #11408interceptor2018-08-03 11:49

    Bob, this is what came out of the bevel gear drain plug, any idea what it was? I haven't opened up the filters yet but all the drain plug magnets were clean. I have the dozer up on rail road ties (they're illegal in New York now) so I could more easily climb underneath it. I spent all of yesterday power washing the entire machine, even the underside including both belly pans. Got six, five gallons buckets of crud out of the front belly pan alone. Someone on this site mentioned how an oil pan encased in sand and dirt can actually increase oil temps so I decided to clean it, made for a long day considering I didn't unbolt and lower it. Everything cleaned up pretty good so now I can start cleaning torque screens and transmission filters. My D8 is #46A9419, The powershift should have, a) two replaceable filters accessed from the top. b) three magnetic filters, all I know is one is next to the oil cooler, not sure where the other two are, or maybe it doesn't have them. c) as you mentioned above, the torque screen and suction screens, easier to see now that it's cleaned. Napa has the filters so I hope they have these gaskets also. Please correct me if I'm wrong Bob. Does the torque convertor have a screen that needs cleaning? There is an access plate near the bottom. I plan on getting a parts book soon and if you were wondering I drained the finals and will replace those filters too. The oil for this old codger isn't cheap so I want to be thorough before filling it back up. Thanks again, I need all the help I can get.

  12. #12hosspuller2018-08-03 12:23

    Yikes... looks more like metal swarf from machining than a spring to me. You been sweeping machine shop floors ? Notice the variation in width and little galls on the metal. All indications of a machining operation. A spring would have a smooth surface.

  13. #13408interceptor2018-08-03 12:46
  14. #14408interceptor2018-08-03 12:48

    I'm starting to think this machine was rebuilt years ago. After power washing I noticed the transmission was repainted because the tag on top had been painted over.

  15. #15John C.2018-08-03 13:19

    Low horse 46A. I don't recall a torque converter screen for sure in those older machines. It's been years since I've barked my knuckles on one though. If you have the square top plated canister that is part of the piping on the front of the transmission pump on the operator's right side of the back of the engine, that is the transmission suction screen.. Make sure you change the O ring under the cover. The screen may be coated in little brass and metal looking filings with softer friction material. There are magnets inside that screen and you need to pull all that out in one piece. It takes a lot of work with solvent and air pressure to clean the screen. The magnets will be coated with what is basically metal sludge. It isn't a problem unless there are large pieces of shiny stuff in there. Lots of solvent and air pressure for cleaning the magnets. If you don't have a strainer there, then it is at the base of the transmission case inside the suction hose. That one is less fun than the top side strainer. Anything that old will have been repaired or rebuilt at least once in its life time. Finding junk in the bottom of the cases is pretty normal for those old dinosaurs. Being able to work that way is why they have lasted so long.

  16. #16408interceptor2018-08-03 13:57

    I probably wont take the filters apart until I get home from work in two weeks, give my knuckles and wrists time to heal after reaching into that belly pan with a scraper LOL. I actually researched the history of my D8 (part of the hobby) and the last three owners only did routine maintenance on it so the original owner probably had it rebuilt after they were done burying nuclear waste at the West Valley Nuclear Demonstration Project in wester NY.

  17. #17John C.2018-08-03 17:19

    A glow in the dark machine?

  18. #18Bluox2018-08-04 09:21

    If you can drop the belly pan under the transmission makes it easer to work on .The torque divider screen is under the plate between the drain plug and the drive line 5 bolts. I had to look transmission pump is on left ,back side of torque housing . Suction line should have a screen in transmission under flange with 4 bolts. Steering pump is on front of power take off case ,look below pump and behind engine oil filters for mag screen 4 nuts on cover. That tractor may have a screen in the transmission where the suction pipe hooks up on the right side 4 bolts. While you have oil drained is a good time to replace hoses and clamps on suction pipes. Cat should have all the seals and gaskets you need .I just bought a trans filter from Cat 16 dollars. Good luck Bob

  19. #19408interceptor2018-08-25 22:26

    Hi Bob, I just spent a couple hours working on the D8 today. The transmission and steering clutch filters were easy enough and the Napa part # is on them, same with final drives. I also found and cleaned the transmission magnetic suction screen on the right side of the engine. Is the torque divider screen near the bottom of the torque convertor? I loosened the five bolts but didn't pry it loose yet because I'm not sure what I'm getting into. If it is the screen do you know the part # for the gasket? The picture is looking straight up from the bottom of the torque convertor.

  20. #20Bluox2018-08-25 23:27

    4M5943 pull plug on bottom to drain housing. Change gaskets and seals on filters and screens. Got a picture of the front bottom of transmission? Bob

  21. #21408interceptor2018-08-25 23:45

    Thank you Bob

  22. #22408interceptor2018-08-26 10:29

    Good morning Bob, I have one more question for you, I need the gasket part #'s left and right for the suction lines that go into the bottom of the transmission. There's a screen in each one that I need to clean and I'm taking your advise and replacing a leaky hose that is part of the suction line. Amazon has the torque screen gasket and I'm hoping the two suction line gaskets also. Thank you very much, Hans.

  23. #23Bluox2018-08-26 14:20

    2 6L1649 seals, 2 1M2711 gaskets maybe depending which transmission you have. you may or maynot have screens . You need to get a parts book for that machine. Why would you not get parts from Cat? Bob