Bought a D5N last summer and haven't ran it but an hour or so but getting ready to do some clearing with it. I've never ran a powershift like this so have a question about shifting. Should you use the deccelerator when shifting forward to reverse? Also when shifting between gears? Dozer has settings for fwd/rvs shifts like 1st forward/2nd reverse etc. We had a Case 850G for several years and put around 1,000 hrs on it but never had a dozer with a deccelerator or powershift. I get different answers when asking about shifting and manual doesn't say anything. I want to do what's best for the transmission. Thanks
Please post your machine serial number.
Most people use the decelerator between forward and reverse between speeds just pull it in the transmission is set up to put the lighter speed clutches in first and the heavier direction clutches last to take up the load
I would say that using the decelerator could actually be more important during reverse to forward shifts because the tractor is likely to be moving more quickly. Agreed that between speeds in the same direction the decelerator is less necessary. That’s why the transmission is called a powershift, it has the ability to shift under full power.
Well, those electronic TXM have some modulation either between shutle and between gears... But, that just mean u wont be thrown into the window shutling FWD to RWD. Wise operation call for pressing decelarator everytime a TXM change is done, and between shutles use BRK pedal as well. This is to avoid TXM and componebts shock loads, those do no good, to either a Power shift late model or in a 50YO.(actually any dozer)
From a comfort perspective, it's better to slow down before changing direction. I've done it on our d6 and it's not pleasant.
Good advice. Just because the machine is capable of doing it should not be taken as an instruction to ACTUALLY do it.
I always use the decelerator when changing direction. I think both ways can work, but once you’re used to using the decelerator, not using it feels like slowly damaging the machine. It puts a lot of unnecessary stress on the drivetrain. But i don't think it's useful when shifting gears.
#AGG01763 Thanks I'll be sure and use the decelerator between forward and reverse.
SEBU 7418 is the OMM for your tractor. The operator controls section has what your looking for.