Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5N Steering Solenoid Access, Electrical Troubleshooting

Calencioni · 2026-04-16 01:48

Hello - I'm getting a big red light and buzz for an electrical ground fault for steering on my D5N. ~5000 hours Sequence Number AGG01696. I've not personally read codes, but a have a service mechanic that had and said yes it's an electrical fault at steering solenoids. He had mentioned the trans had to be removed to access the steering/brake solenoids and coils, but I remember seeing some threads where this is a pretty standard fault from oil impregnated harness or rubbing/vibration causes ground faults. Knowing this sequence number, I believe there was a member named NIGE that had the ability to get some service manual snaps to show access to these coils/valves to do the preliminary harness/connector/coil check - Can someone share the correct service photo for access to this? I am fairly certain trans access is not needed unless I get into the trans control valve and specific solenoids, even then the trans stays in place.

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2026-04-16 08:53

    Not at the moment I’m afraid. My computer is down. Ask him exactly what the Code is. There will be a reference number something like 672-02. If there is more than one Code please list all of them.

  2. #2Calencioni2026-05-10 14:37

    2 coils, 2 connectors and some wire. I guess the machines are now at the age the plastic on coils is brittle enough it’ll break when messing with connectors. I have a great self employed mechanic who came prepared with coils.

  3. #3Nige2026-05-10 14:45

    I hope he’s planning on cleaning that area before touching anything. Still waiting for this information. I could probably find a troubleshooting procedure for it.

  4. #4AU.CASE2026-05-11 18:43

    Could connector #2 (from the top, blue/yellow) reveal rodent attack (there and elsewhere) with bare loom wires visible as they enter the plug?

  5. #5Simon C2026-05-11 23:26

    I don't see anything that could rub on the wires so must be a happy rodent. Simon C

  6. #6HarleyHappy2026-05-13 17:55

    Might have a Taj Mahal somewhere else. Don’t do a Bill Murray and blow stuff up. Lol

  7. #7JS4302026-05-15 19:24

    Are those coils under your left foot when sitting in the seat? If so I had a wire with a bare spot on a D5N also. It was on the coil closest to the door.