I am having overheating problems! I've never owned a dozer before and really need advice. I changed the thermostat and blew out the radiator but it still overheats. Can anyone give me something else to do?
belt is good, can you see flow in the radiator? I don't know if impellers come off those water pumps but on some engines that is a thing.
How do i tell if there is flow? I'm sorry to say I am very new to this machine. Where is the water pump?
I suggest you get a mobile mechanic out there before doing anything else. Even if you did identify the problem, someone else is going to be fixing it.
Are you saying that because of a coolant temp gauge reading and/or a warning light and nothing else.? If that is the case I would suggest to buy yourself an infra-red thermometer for a start and confirm the actual temperatures of your cooling system. Something like this link. They are not expensive. https://www.amazon.com/Thermometer-...cphy=1015116&hvtargid=pla-2281435180938&psc=1 Also please post the machine Serial Number. It helps in finding technical information.
Hello Nige, Thank you for responding. I have checked the temp. with a temp. gun. The oil pan was 225/block 227/head 212. The radiator from top to bottom read: 208/200/188. My serial #: CAT00D5NJAGG2115. Thank you for any advise you my have. Respectfully, Veronica Franck
The water pump is on the end of motor and has the fan blades on it. Depending on where the radiator cap is, while just starting, you can pop off the radiator cap and watch for coolant moving. It will be moving across the radiator as the coolant comes in from one of the big hoses. It won’t be high volume or thrashing around but you should be able to see coolant moving around. If your belt is not tight, there will be loss of pumping from your water pump, also some water pumps are known to have the impeller rot or fall off inside. Good luck. Please post pictures.
the temperature differential across the radiator inlet/outlet @ 20 deg appears to be on the money, so a radiator that is plugged internally is less of a possibility. Is it just the engine getting hot or is the torque converter outlet temperature also showing overheating.? If it is just the engine then I would suggest that you look at the water temperature regulator first. To access it only requires 6 bolts to be removed, although it may damage the gasket as it is being pulled apart. See the attachment. If you remove the regulator and pop it in a pan of water and heat it up it ought to open at around the set temperature of 94 DegC or about 200 DegF.
This may be a stupid question but has the coolant level been checked.?