Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6 9u cable blade lock

seansparks ยท 2018-02-24 04:54

Hi all. Finally got the old 9u cranking. Installed an electric start after the pony died. She has been sitting for over 10 years and drove her straight up. My problem is the cable blade winch there is a loose eyebolt (well no nut at all..l) I am assuming the this holds the blade up if required. I am heading back next week so will try the eyebolt, just thought there might be something else needed . Thanks Sean

Replies6
  1. #1old-iron-habit2018-02-25 17:51

    I assume you are speaking of a front mounted CCU. The brake is what holds the blade up. If you are talking about the 1/2" diameter pinch bolt that goes thru the front mounted CCU unit, it locks the adjustment on the unit. Be sure to look at the instructions in the book to see how to adjust it. The brake and clutch have to be set in sequence. It adjusts in the opposite direction on some CCU units dependent on the year of manufacture. You will need the proper Cat bolt for it as the shoulder is different and a standard grade 8 bolt will not stay tight. Ask me how I know. The nut lock that has the single securing bolt at the front of the unit will soon be worn round with out the correct pinch bolt behind it. NEVER, NEVER try to adjust a CCU unit with the machine running. There has been more than one arm torn off and loss of life when it has been tried. Post a picture or two of what you are talking about.

  2. #2seansparks2018-02-27 04:41

    Hi. Thanks for the reply . Lots of helpful information, there js a warning on the CCU unit about not adjusting while thwe machine is running. Will definitely not be doing that... The only bools I have are only for the machine no attachments. It has a rear winch as well. I will be looking for more information/ manuals online. I need to patch up the oil cooler pipes as at least one is spraying oil out. So that is my first job.... Thanks again for your assistance

  3. #3old-iron-habit2018-03-01 21:22

    I have a few CCU manuals. PM me your model number and in the good chance I have that manual I can email you the adjustment information. I'm thinking its probably a #25 on your 9U. You may want to check out the ACMOC site. lots of good smart folks there on the older machines. There are some ACMOC Chapters in Australia. It may be in your interest to join up with one of them if there is one in your area.

  4. #4seansparks2018-03-05 18:15

    I have just left the machine up north. Thanks for the offer I will send the CCU model no when I get back up there. I was tracking her back to the shack on my property and after a couple of hours and only a few hundred meters to go when she stopped. It was almost dark so I left her. First I thought it was fuel. But after refueling, she started but with a fairly loud knock from the engine. She was low on water so I hope I haven't done any major damage. I am going to pull the inspection plates on the crank first and check the big ends. At leastshe is closer to home base.

  5. #5seansparks2018-03-13 02:58

    Hi. Finally got back to the old girl. She has done at least one big end bearing so I will get a new one and see how she sounds, the crank is fairly smooth . Took a picture of the CCU which shows a partial number.... not sure if that is enough to determine the model. It will raise the blade but it will not fully lower even with the brake spring backed right off. I haven't checked the oil in there yet. So that will be on the list. Thanks again for your interest

  6. #6old-iron-habit2018-03-13 22:47

    I am sure I got the book for that CCU. Ill go dig it out tomorrow. PM me your email and I will send some adjustment instruction pages. Look at the 2 holes above the center adjusting nut that take a 3/8 inch bolt. There should be a teardrop shaped lock plate that sets over the 3/4"(?) adjusting bolt in the center and then will hit one of them two 3/8" holes to lock it. You can put it on with either side out to work. Yours is missing. It is readily available from Cat. Most likely in stock. Them plates will quickly wear the center out if the pinch bolt in the bottom is not the proper Cat bolt and everything tight as it should be.