Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6-C 99J power steering problem

Cross steer ยท 2017-11-27 10:29

I have a direct drive D6-C that the power steering does not work until the cat has warmed up for 20 min or longer. I checked the sump strainer in the bottom of the clutch housing and it was clean also no oil ran out when I removed the plug, then checked strainer and magnets under the left floorboard and there was some metal fillings and crud but not bad. it steers real well once it starts working but seems to be getting worse with time. I have not checked he pressures yet any ideas.

Replies5
  1. #1Old Magnet2017-11-27 15:55

    Check the filter (between pump and steering clutch control valve).

  2. #2Cross steer2017-11-27 16:49

    thanks for the reply where is this filter located?

  3. #3Old Magnet2017-11-27 18:47

    Front LH side of the engine.

  4. #4Cross steer2017-12-09 21:44

    After tearing into this cat we found that there was nothing wrong with the trans. pump the problem was a suction leak in the pipe coming from the transmission strainer to the pump,this explained why if you warmed it up long enough it would finally prime the pump and the steering would work the press as shown in the pictures was 300 psi for left and right and when the steering levers are not being used the press was about 100 psi so runs and steers agian

  5. #5old-iron-habit2017-12-10 17:02

    Thanks for updating us with the problem and the fix. It will probably help someone else in the future.