Time has come for roosa master pump rebuild. Has anyone on forum performed this job ? I can do some work, but since aging process is escalating things hurt more than they use to. HELP
Yeah , what's going down with the machine ? Running poorly , hard starting , low power , cylinder miss , fuel in engine oil ? Long checklist before rebuilding one . Many times its something simple not even related to the injection pump . Was getting some fuel in the engine oil on one of the Ford tractors . Replaced the shaft seal & took care of it . HeavyEquipmentForums Member thepumpguysc is our pump Guru . He might chime in with some thoughts & ideas . HeavyEquipmentForums
It started last year with the pump return getting clogged and now the fuel is leaking in crankcase. This is the 207 cu in motor. I won't do the rebuild, we have a pump shop nearby. I've looked the dozer over and it looks to me the whole front needs to come off just to get to cover where injection pump gear is. Local Case shop says 5hrs of labor and then whatever pump shop charges to rebuild pump. Probably 2k for whole job. I believe there's a part inside pump that needs upgraded (cage ?) or something that's plastic ? I can do mechanical work even though it hurts more now, is there a procedure on here on what to take-off to get that cover off ?
Its a 30 minute job w/1 arm.. lol shut off the fuel or pinch the fuel line. Remove the side cover on the pump, 2 screws.. Remove all the linkage from the pump, return lines & injection lines. Rotate the engine over until the 2 lines under the cover meet.. 1 is stationary & 1 rotates. Now remove the 2 or 3 nuts holding the pump to the block & pull straight back.. The drive shaft stays in the engine.. CALL & FIND OUT how much the shop is going to charge for a DBGFCC OVERHAUL W/ AN EID WEIGHT RETAINER..!!!! You don't want any suprises.. THEN email me.. The WHOLE JOB should cost NO MORE THAN 800.00.. That's pulling the pump, rebuilding & reinstall.. I WISH I had the testicular fortitude to charge 2k..!!!! LOL
Thanks for quick reply. They said total rebuild $1250. Will this procedure cover the external seal ?
Heck, for 2 grand, I'll drive to WV & do the job in 1 day.. Lol Do you mean the steel washers for the lines? yes.. the seals for the drive shaft too..
I didn't realize it was that easy. The seal(s) that I'm talking about are the ones that are easily rolled ? can't remember the name...I'm old ok.... Lol
Its the drive shaft seals, & yes they come back w/ the pump. Sent you a private msg.. Its STORIES like these that get me P.OFF.. & THATS EXACTLY WHY I do what I do.. UNLESS the pump is seized, theres NO REASON in the world that it should cost 1250.00 The main pumping part, called the head & rotor is VERY expensive for that pump.. but like I said, if its not seized, theres no reason for that quote.. AND they wouldn't know if its seized until they put their hands on it..
The only trouble you will run into is the pump hold down nut closest to the engine block. Its in a odd position & usually the only was to reach it is w/ a curved wrench.. I tell folks to go get a cheap wrench from the pawn shop or harbor frght & bend it into a "U".. OR you can buy one online, but they're alittle expensive. You can buy & bend a cheap wrench for about 5.00 or spend 30.-45.00 & never use it again.??
Shops in the Midwest are getting fewer and farther between where the prices are reflecting availability, sorry to say. My old Allis 180 Stanadyne pump died five years ago, had it rebuilt at Capital Diesel Jefferson City MO, that was $900 and change then. I did the R&R and all they had to do was set the pump up. Parts list was less than a page full but did include shaft seals and a cheezy tweezer style seal installation tool.
Lol.. its STILL the same cheezy tool.. AND they went from a metal tube to install the seals to plastic.. AND raised the price..
I used these guys to rebuild the Roosta Master injection pump on my JD 450C. http://www.bkdiesel.com/ Charged about $850 including parts. Buy the installation tool for the umbrella seals on the input shaft, put a smear of oil or diesel on the seals when you install them and they will go together easily. Follow the instructions from "thepumpguysc". The toughest part is removing/replacing the nut between the pump and the engine block. Rick
I know that a lot of you guys didn't know me then & THATS WHY I started doing what I do here.. helping folks out.. the OVERHEAD & MARK UP on that stuff is worse than the diamond industry.. So basically, what I'm saying is, & BELIEVE ME, I'm not proud of it....you paid about 400.00 in "overhead & markups"..
Pumpguy can you send me your contact info again.....some how I've misplaced it....I'm old ok