Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6 M irregular shifting

alaskaforby4 ยท 2020-07-22 01:24

D6M 9ZM00457 More D6 problems! Is there a solenoid or shift selector that could be wearing out? It seems more electronic than mechanical trans problems, but ive been wrong before! When pushing and you put in reverse, nothing will happen, what I end up doing is going back to forward then back to reverse and it works fine, very intermittent and happens in both directions, any ideas?

Replies4
  1. #1alaskaforby42020-07-22 01:27

    Heres a little video I made.

  2. #2.RC.2020-07-22 01:44

    I do not think there is any electronics in that machine for transmission or engine control. Have you checked the oil filter and screens?

  3. #3Nige2020-07-22 07:58

    Agreed. That is a completely mechanical control. Pull the transmission filter, cut it open and check for particles in the bottom of the pleats. Plenty of how to videos on Youtube. If you want to change the transnmission oil as well then you can also pull the suction screen and inspect for debris and/or metal particles on the magnets Also smell the oil. Does it give the impression of being burnt..?

  4. #4alaskaforby42020-07-22 23:31

    Oils and filters have been changed several times trying to diagnose filter light that kept coming on, which finally stopped after Nige gave some pointers on how it all worked and I cleaned everything up real well. I vaguely remember pulling the screen at the bottom of trans the 1st oil change and it being perfect. Guess I could try that again.. I've changed the oil and filters 3 times in 600 hrs. Never smelled burned or weird, trans never acts weird or hot either. The shifting problem was really bad when I first got it several years ago and I replaced one of the hiem joints on the shifter and it helped quite a bit. Maybe I'll just go ahead and replace all of them.