Hi everyone, first post here so take it easy on me please. Im wondering if anyone would have a semi recent service bulletin from Caterpillar regarding premature failure of track chains stemming from dry links. Currently dealing with this issue on an 18 month old complete undercarriage rebuild and have been told they have had a spat of dry links failures all on the 6’s. 4% wear on chains with 10-15 dry links each side. Thanks lads.
Should be warranty regardless if there's a bulletin on it.
Yep I agree mate, however I bought complete track groups now they want me to pay to have the plates changed over to new chains (supplied by them) or change them myself. I don’t feel that’s fair when I purchased the complete track group, to me it’d be different if I bought chains only and bolted up my own old or new plates to them Especially after only 18 months and 1300 odd hours
Yes, they probably should swap the pads but if they gave a reasonable price to bolt the pads on I'd recommend it. They need to be to tightened with the proper torque/turn method. It is much easier to do on the track press. Warranty may only be for parts replacement so if they charged say $500-$600 to swap the pads you'd still be ahead. Consider that you did get 1300 hours out of the bad rails. They should make you whole again. If they swapped the pads for free you're getting 1300 hours use for no cost. It's a pain for sure but at least they are giving warranty. Not sure other track suppliers wouldn't try to find a way out of giving warranty or pro-rating it where you pay even more than just for swapping the pads. You got approx. 25% life out of the rails.
"D6" covers a multitidue of sins going back over 60 years. Can you possibly be a little more specific regarding which one of the 100 or so models of D6 that have been produced in that time frame just to narrow the field down a bit.? If you still have the invoice from the U/C overhaul 18 months ago does it have the Part Number of the Track Groups that were installed at that time.? That would identify the Part Number of the Link Group which is the whole object of the exercise.
Are they wanting back the old chains ? If not suggest you get the new chains in your shed and don't change the chains till they are 100 % worn . All chains used to be dry .
New chains aren't designed to run dry. Running them dry I think they would make the most gawd awful screeching and squeeling noise that would drive you insane. You'd be constantly checking to see what's wrong or if a rock got stuck in the idler or sprocket area. Changing undercarriage is a big job. I think getting new rails on your dozer so you're good to go for 4000 or more hours is best option.
Absolutely 100% the reason why they need to be replaced. The noise is unbearable and driving me insane and part of the reason we done the undercarriage overhaul In the first place.
Yes I should have been more specific I apologise. D6H 4YF 391-3927 is the track group number, sold to us via Hastings Deering as “last years Heavy Duty tracks, that have been updated.” Now listed as General Duty, either way they suit our application just not the dry links.
These buggers charge about $168 an hour out here. I wouldn’t imagine 500-600 would go far in changing the plates over. Then add on the down time and floating to them I’d be down at least another 8-10k.
You could negotiate a price to swap pads, maybe $1000 tops. You got some bad rails and they are replacing them. You seem to expect them to compensate you for more than you are actually out. They could pro-rate the warranty where it would cost you even more. It does suck the rails were bad but you still got 1300 hours out of them or used them for 1300 hours. If you charge $100/hr. that translates to $130,000. You're out some downtime and a nominal cost to change the pads. Be happy they're giving you a 100% warranty on the rails. They could have said they're only giving 75% or less. Can't see how you'd be out $8-10K.
I could negotiate, but who wants to do that with a multinational company. Stick to welding mate. 7700 in a weeks downtime without the dozer plus the float to move the dozer to where they want it. That’s how I’ll be out 8-10k. I didnt buy chains I bought complete track groups.
If you’ve resigned yourself to the fact that any further negotiation is pointless, it looks like you’re down to finding the most efficient way to change pads over yourself. Being only 18 months old, the bolts shouldn’t be any trouble to spin off. We recently put new pads on good chains during a (rare) week of wet weather. Will they stump up for new nuts and bolts?
I can't see anything other than a Service Magazine stating that some low-volume undercarriage piece Part Numbers were cancelled and replaced with higher-volume equivalents. The 391-3928 Link Gp (part of your 391-3927 track Gp) was one of the replacements, so in that regard it a the "latest & greatest" not a cancelled Part Number. If you don't feel like your dealer is giving you a fair go, then ask for the contact details of your local Cat Area Service Rep and contact that person direct. The details may be available online for your area, Google is your friend.
How good does new track gear look mate, yes rains been fairly rare so far this season. Good to be able to keep tractors running though. The heat’s another issue though but still workable. I’ll wait a bit longer until they make their final decision on what their position is and go from there with it.
Thanks Nige. Really appreciate the help, if I find anything my end on it I’ll be sure to let you know.
I doubt your Cat dealer would be interested in helping you out.I’m suprised they’ve offered you a set of replacement chains to be honest. I think your best way out of this is to fit the pads yourself and take the hit unfortunately. I think you’ve worked that out for yourself though. As for Cat undercarriage components on a tractor of that size,Cat will offer you the most expensive cost per hour option over non oem tracks. That’s not supposed to be how it works though
Quick update, it only took about 7 months or a bit longer but we got a great result. New chains supplied by Cat Australia, Labour to change the plates across paid by Hastings Deering. When your not the cause of the complete failure it worth the time and effort to argue the point.
Excellent result. I’m pleased to hear it and thank you for coming back to update the thread.