Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D65EX average engine life

hazardmat · 2015-12-30 20:23

I would like to get an idea of how long the average engine life is on a D65EX. Assuming that all maintenance is done as suggested by the manufacturer. Any response would be appreciated, thank you.

Replies11
  1. #102Dmax2015-12-30 21:55

    I've overhauled 3 at 7500 hours due to liner orings leaking. I've seen some with 11,000 hrs though and no problems.

  2. #2Shimmy12015-12-30 21:56

    What series? Older ones have a Komatsu engine, newer ones have a C series Cummins. The -12 and -15 have the Cummins, maybe some others? In regards to longevity, and if we're talking about an 8.3, maintenance is only part of the puzzle. How the engine has been treated is more of a factor. I had an 8.3 I put in a truck. Had 100,000 miles on it when I got it, put couple hundred more on it and it still runs fine. Dad has a 61PX-12 that has over 7000 hrs on it and it runs pretty good yet. It has a little blowby and uses about a gallon per 100 hrs but seems fine otherwise. I've ran PC 300's with 12,000 hrs on original engine. As for your question, I'm going to say 8-10k hours should be a reasonable expectation for an average. Some might be ready to freshen up at 5000, some might still be going at 15,000. If you're asking about a Komatsu engine, I have zero experience or knowledge, maybe somebody else does.

  3. #3earthscratcher2015-12-30 21:57

    saw a -12 with over 20000 hrs that was never touched, I bet it had slowed down some though,i would guess around 10000 hrs no problem.most would say that the -12 is a bit tougher then the -15 and up.i priced out a reman tranny torque combo for a -12, it was the price of a whole new to me used machine. I think it was 47000.00 + core.

  4. #402Dmax2015-12-30 21:58

    Those were -12's

  5. #5Shimmy12015-12-30 22:03

    How about that Dmax, we're pretty much guessing the same thing. What are your thoughts on the cause of the oring failures? Improper SCA levels, or just nature?

  6. #6earthscratcher2015-12-30 22:13

    shimmy I might be wrong but I think -12 and up are komatsu and older ones are cummins, I like the cummins better, rebuild parts are cheaper and lots of 8.3s around

  7. #7earthscratcher2015-12-30 23:05

    I had a -12 for three years and it never let me down,had the komatsu engine with 5000hrs and it used a little oil but was a strong runner.most guys around here are very happy with them. only thing I see every body doing is blowing the ball joint angle brackets of from behind the blade and adding the cat style pin bearing setup that caterpillar uses. helps those push arm trunnion balls last about twice has long.

  8. #8Shimmy12015-12-30 23:29

    Yep, Earthscratcher, you are quite possibly correct. I assumed they had same engine as a 61. Found some pics of -12's and that's not a Cummins. When I loaded sugar beets in the valley about 10 yrs ago, they ran Komatsu 450 and 500 loaders. Some of the 450's had the 125 in them. Seemed like a good engine.

  9. #902Dmax2015-12-30 23:51

    Ya every -12 I've been around has the 125 in them. I think the failed liner orings are a combination of not keeping SCA levels in check and just dumping any old coolant in it. Plus sitting for extended periods is hard on them. I'll stick by this to my death: a machine that's run everyday for several hours a day typically lasts alot longer and has fewer issues than one that sits alot. I work on alot of grain trucks that sit 10 months out of the year but I only change brakes and oil on the milk truck!!

  10. #10tctractors2015-12-31 01:57

    The early Tractors had the Cummins engine from Dash 8 the 125 Komatsu engine was standard, the 125 engine was often blamed to suffer Liner Seal issues this was usually only the Water Pump failed, as people don't like to say they have blown a pile of cash on liner kits when all that had failed was a Water Pump that I can remove, rebuild and refit for about £225 all in, the 125 engine is very good with high standard Non O.E. parts easy found and if looked after correctly I would expect 20'000 hrs to be easily managed, Komatsu fit this engine into a wide spread of equipment with high hours attained, the Cummins fitted in the early Tractors is set at low H.Power non Turbo as a common standard although the very last Tractors did have a Turbo fitted in a small N'os, the engine had a 4 valve heads per cylinder with single springs on the valves, parts for these engines are getting costly and hard to find. tctractors

  11. #11John C.2015-12-31 13:08

    I seem to remember the early D65 had the Cummins 745 block which was replaced by the Komatsu SD6-125 motor. There were a few machines in this area that ended up with 855 truck engines that had to be turned way down. One machine I visited had enough horsepower to shear the bolts off the steering clutch hubs. I had good luck with the 125 engines in all the iron I had to work on. tctractors is on the money about the liner seals. Komatsu used a coolant filter setup that was more of a chemical dosing system for the coolant system. I found many coolant leak complaints that were the canister being rusted out. Some fairly profitable engine work could be counted on in the not distant future after that. The wheel loaders would go 12,000 to 15,000 hours. I've seen PC400 excavators and log shovels hit 20,000 pretty consistently. Keep in mind those machines had very good maintenance programs keeping them running.