Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help on td8e

Bub27 ยท 2015-12-31 10:36

I bought a td8e a good running machine the only down fall it have with it is it hard to start it requires starting fluid every time to start an in cold weather hard as heck to get started what can I do to fix this problem any info would be great help thanks

Replies21
  1. #1Bub272015-12-31 11:54

    Anyone out there lol

  2. #2AllDodge2015-12-31 12:08

    Appears your post as been viewed 39 times but no responses. It happens, just folks don't have an answer, but also helps if more info is provided. When cranking are you getting any smoke out the exhaust? My first thought is maybe the compression is low. When running how is the power?

  3. #3GregsHD2015-12-31 12:12

    Howdy! I don't know what temperature it gets down to there, but the best bet for cold weather starting is a circulating style block heater (plumb into heater hoses) and a lighter grade of oil. I maintain a few machines here that aren't near any power, they fire up decent down to -25c with a 10w30 semisyn oil.

  4. #4Bub272015-12-31 16:14

    I get some smoke but not a lot power seems good once it's running

  5. #5AllDodge2015-12-31 16:38

    If it's puffing white smoke that's unburnt diesel. Is it turning over fast? Does it start easy in the summer time? Does the machine have glow plugs?

  6. #6Bub272015-12-31 16:48

    It has no glow plugs it has to have starter fluid in warm weather in cold weather it turns over real slow

  7. #7AllDodge2015-12-31 17:07

    Not an expert, but I'm thinking either your compression is a bit low, or you need a new starter or wiring fixed. I have a D3 which I rebuilt to engine, and it had a heck of a time starting it. Cleaned up the cables and connections with no help. Took the starter to have it checked and they could find nothing wrong. The shop that worked on the starter had no way to load test properly. Finally bought a new starter and now she fires right up and it turns over much faster

  8. #8Bub272015-12-31 17:10

    The started went out on me and I had it re built not saying that ant still some of the problem

  9. #9bvfdfire2015-12-31 20:11

    I would take a hard look at the compression. It has marginal compression from the factory anyhow, so much so that several engine kit builders have offered an enhanced piston design that boosts compression for easier starting...... havent been able to find the spec but it should be in the range of 350 to 400 psi per cylinder. and shouldnt be more than 5 to 10% variation between any 2 cylinders. A very common issue that I've seen many times with an engine that has become ether dependent, is that over time, the repeated detonation in the cylinder from the ether can in some cases cause the connecting rod to bend along the I axis...... this can cause the piston have reduced lift in the cylinder which will further decrease the compression. Its a never ending demon. Hope you find the issue, the 239 that is in your tractor is pretty good engine and should bust right off. The only weak point that I recollect about them is that they tend to wear the crank bearings causing diminished oil pressures.

  10. #10Bub272015-12-31 20:45

    Copy I was thinking it was compression problem we had a 684 ih tractor that does the same thing

  11. #11FWD2016-01-01 14:20

    There is a cold start position on the throttle. It is up just a little from the stop. It gives the engine a lot of fuel and it (the engine) just lopes along and blows black smoke. If the throttle linkage is not set properly it won't do this. It definitely helps on the cold starts. I had a TD8-E that I purchased with 3xxx hours and it never did start good. Needed starting fluid when warm at times. Otherwise it ran okay. I finally got a rebuilt pump for it and it was a whole new animal. That was years ago, now someone said parts for those pumps are hard to get. FWD

  12. #12Bub272016-01-01 21:45

    How do you know if the linkage is adjusted right

  13. #13FWD2016-01-02 15:02

    If I remember correctly, in the operators manual there is a step by step procedure for this. It's like every thing else, it's always best to check the easy things first. One thing, as long as you can start it on starting fluid, once it is running put the throttle into that position (the cold start) the engine will run slow and black smoke should come out the exhaust and it will lope along. If it does this, it is reasonably close in adjustment, if not, it needs adjusting. Like I said, there is a step by step way of doing it. FWD

  14. #14Willie B2016-01-02 20:24

    Try a hair dryer down the air intake. Warmer air can help a diesel start. 10W-30 is a must. I have an old farm tractor with a fresh engine, but low compression ratio. It starts hard even in summer. The hair dryer helps considerably.

  15. #15Bub272016-01-03 15:19

    Ok did some looking the top end was re done in 03 on The motor an only 50 hrs on it when I got it he also had the injectors rebuilt at same time the linkage seems to be right according to operators Manuel so what y'all think

  16. #16FWD2016-01-03 19:48

    Weak pump. That's how mine acted. FWD

  17. #17AllDodge2016-01-04 08:42

    If you have the pump looked at I would recommend Diesel Injection service on Almond Ave in Louisville. They overhauled mine and there was a slight issue with one fitting. They drove 150 miles to me to fix it

  18. #18Willie B2016-01-04 10:59

    Are you sure you have the diesel tank full? My question seems stupid, but my backhoe Case (580K) starts very hard year round if the tank is less than half full. On my backhoe, the diesel tank is one side of the loader frame. The primary pump is about half the capacity of the tank. It won't easily lift on the suction side. It's a simple fix, but in my world a problem. My two sons hate diesel fuel and grease. Dad usually finds himself filling, and greasing before use. I've seen primer pumps for the purpose.

  19. #19eddiev2016-07-02 18:16

    Turns slow? bad BATTERY

  20. #20Willie B2016-07-02 20:24

    My backhoe started starting very hard last week. Using ether it started instantly. I put up with it near a week, then went in search of the problem. There was no power to the injection pump until you released the key. Eventually son A & I figured out that son B had used it without a key. When finished hot wiring it he plugged the wire back onto the back of the ignition switch, on the wrong terminal. With someone turning the key, check for power at the injection pump. Willie

  21. #21RichB2016-07-02 20:39

    Had same problem, first sent out injectors, helped a little still had to either. Sent pump out, ran like new.