Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6C D333T engine overhaul

Dusty Diesel ยท 2014-05-18 04:37

Hi guys i have had a D333T engine fully machined/repaired & i have assembled it. I have 1 part left over which i have never seen before, i'm hoping someone can help out. The machine shop stripped the engine & have no clue as to where it's meant to fit. It's about 3" long 1/4" bolt with a slot on one end for a screw driver & a sharp point on the other end. Attached is a photo. First time user so i hope the photo works out.

Replies13
  1. #1nicky 68a2014-05-18 04:51

    I had one of these years ago.It was a 1966 year D6C 83A 400 series.It was an ok tractor which I used to take on the bigger jobs as a general clean up machine.It would get hot in the back end around the 8 hour mark.The engine never missed a beat though.The water pump looked a dog of a job though.Had it about 9 years until it broke a piston.It wasn't in a bad way and the parts dealer that I still use wanted to buy it.He gave me a fair price and shipped it to a tip in Greece where I can tell you it still works. I don't know what the screw bolt is though.

  2. #2ben46a2014-05-18 07:00

    Is is pointed on one end?

  3. #3Dusty Diesel2014-05-18 07:05

    Yes, sharp point & slot other end

  4. #4Bob/Ont2014-05-18 08:50

    It might be the TDC pointer for the flywheel marks. Later Bob

  5. #5kshansen2014-05-18 11:39

    I'm thinking Bob has that right. Look for two bolt cover on the flywheel housing. Could not find a picture of one for a D6C But looking at an industrial engine it comes up as part number 4L3814-Pointer. Would expect it to be between 10 and 2 o'clock on the flywheel housing.

  6. #6Dusty Diesel2014-05-18 12:20

    Thanks guys will check it out next weekend.

  7. #7kshansen2014-05-18 14:01

    Could not find a picture from a D6C but here is a picture from a D333 marine engine parts sheet. Item #1 I believe is what you have.

  8. #8Nige2014-05-18 16:04

    Here's a different view of the same thing. Your pointer is item 4 under the 2-bolt cover. This diagram is a 3306 engine a bit newer than yours but maybe it gives you a better idea of where to look.

  9. #9Dusty Diesel2014-05-18 16:36

    Thanks but my bell housing is different as it has 2 hyd pumps on the LH side. It does have 2 covers near the starter motor though so will check them next wknd.

  10. #10Cmark2014-05-18 17:58

    I'm not saying for sure that it isn't the pointer, but that part only costs 18c here in Aus. Seems a little cheap to me. Looking at the shiny bit on the end, could it be a jet screw from a carburettor?

  11. #11Old Magnet2014-05-18 20:20

    I believe Bob's got it....

  12. #12Dusty Diesel2014-05-20 21:54

    oil for D333T ?? What oil do you suggest for these old engines ??

  13. #13Old Magnet2014-05-21 11:53

    SAE 30 for mild climate and SAE 40 for hot is still the recommended oil for PC engines.