Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6C engine side covers

Mcrafty1 · 2024-01-20 06:56

Did the CAT D6C 76A series come from the factory with available full engine side covers? If so where would the best place to look for a set of used covers in or around the NE USA?

Replies11
  1. #1Old Cats 712024-01-20 13:19

    Might be cheaper to make some up…I have seen them on some D6C’s

  2. #2Mcrafty12024-01-20 15:30

    Probably, I have seen them on D6C 10Ks but don't remember seeing any on 76As maybe they are the same? Either way probably right about the money, thanks

  3. #3.RC.2024-01-20 15:47

    They never came with side covers,, later models with side covers have a perforated bonnet as alone the side covers restrict the air too much.

  4. #4Mcrafty12024-01-21 05:44

    That makes sense, Thanks

  5. #5kshansen2024-01-21 08:48

    If you are just looking for something to keep trash of some kind out of the engine area, like brush and tree limbs I would check with any quarries or gravel beds with screening plants to see if they have any scrap screen cloth to fabricate some from.

  6. #6Mcrafty12024-01-21 15:51

    If you are just looking for something to keep trash of some kind out of the engine area, like brush and tree limbs I would check with any quarries or gravel beds with screening plants to see if they have any scrap screen cloth to fabricate some from. The side screen really aren't needed, I was thinking if there were any out there to be had I'd. Try and get a set just to keep my machine as near original as I could. The heat issue that was brought up makes a good argument to not cover the sides of the engine compartment and I'll likely not purse it any further.

  7. #7clueless22024-01-21 16:26

    I made side panels for D8's out of 1/2 inch plywood. they held up quite well. I made them for working in winter weather. They can be miserable in sandy or very dry soil tho. I could remove them in 10 minutes in those conditions. If I owned the dozers I would have made them out of 11 gauge steel.

  8. #8.RC.2024-01-21 16:34

    What they may have had (later ones did) was a cover that goes right the way up with a gap at the top. Like this.

  9. #956wrench2024-01-21 17:02

    This is what i had on my 46A for landclearing. The ones for smaller machines were similar

  10. #10grandpa2024-01-21 20:47

    When I had my D6C I hung a hunk of coveyor belt on each side on hinges. I drilled 3/4 inch holes in them and never had a problem with overheat. If a stick did hit them they wouldn't bend.

  11. #11Mcrafty12024-01-22 05:43

    I'm not using the machine in winter, and I certainly don't want to restrict air flow for cooling/heating purposes. I was more looking to add something that was an original part just because my machine is missing them. I appreciate all the ideas but I'm not interested in making something that wasn't part of the original build. It's more form than function in my case.