Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6c Final Drive Bearing adjustment

kyfarmer ยท 2017-03-11 12:00

D6c Serial #10K9803 Have disassembled and reassembled right hand final drive, replaced the entire holder assembly as mine was cracked and had allowed the nut to back off of the dead shaft. Replaced outer bearing and race at the same time. Have torqued the nut on the dead shaft as required, and now need to ensure that my sprocket shaft bearing is adjusted correctly. I have the CAT instructions which state that I need to tighten the spanner nut on the holder assembly to 2400 lb. ft. , then back off to 300 lb. ft. , and then tighten back to 350 lb. ft. My problem is that I don't have any way to measure these specifications. I have had a six foot pipe on the end of the spanner wrench, with my 200 pounds on the end so I would estimate 1200 lb. ft. applied. Have read some accounts of checking bearing play with a bar between sprocket and final drive case. Mine does not move. Just trying to figure out the proper way to proceed. We have been in this final drive 3 times in the last year, so I would like to get the torque specs right this time. Any suggestions?

Replies2
  1. #1Old Magnet2017-03-11 19:35

    Those are bogus instructions. Make sure you have 0.281 +/- 0.060 " distance between face of sprocket and the spline shoulder after the sprocket has been pressed with a force of 45 to 50 ton. Tighten the bearing adjusting nut 900 to 1200 ft lbs. Turn the sprocket four of five times while tightening. Then turn the nut in the same direction until the lock can be installed in the next notch. Tighten the nut on the sprocket shaft 600 to 700 ft lbs.

  2. #2kyfarmer2017-03-12 10:16

    Thanks