Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6C hydraulic pump trouble

D6Cat · 2021-04-05 14:13

Dozer has busted the hydraulic pump. This the second time this has happened. Any ideas why?

Replies20
  1. #1Nige2021-04-05 15:10

    Contamination from the previous failure was left in the system.?

  2. #2tctractors2021-04-05 15:22

    A lot of people think there is only 1 filter in the hydraulic tank but there is 2 one on top of another, the system is very compact with only a small oil capacity with any D6C now being 45 - 50 years old it's due a system tidy up. tctractors

  3. #3Vetech632021-04-05 16:24

    Describe what you mean by busted? The housing or end plates broke? How about some pics?

  4. #4kshansen2021-04-05 19:21

    Yes! busted doesn't tell me much of anything. One person's busted might be another's scored end plates, another's snapped input shaft and so on. Or even a broken main pressure relief valve spring causing it to not build any pressure!

  5. #5Nige2021-04-05 20:52

    image doesn't work. At least I can't see anything.

  6. #6D6Cat2021-04-05 21:34
  7. #7D6Cat2021-04-05 21:35

    Finally got a photo

  8. #8361brock2021-04-05 21:45

    yep, thats busted lol

  9. #9Vetech632021-04-06 02:16

    Looks like a severe over pressure issue.

  10. #10nicky 68a2021-04-06 03:44

    Wow,I’ve never seen that before. I don’t suppose it took a knock with a hammer the last time it was removed ? Could have been a crack that developed

  11. #11nicky 68a2021-04-06 03:46

    I also recall allways changing both cartridges even though I didn’t have hyd tilt blades fitted.I’m not sure why,but took the advice given.

  12. #12Dave Neubert2021-04-06 07:10

    Have you checked pressures looks like over pressure

  13. #13kshansen2021-04-06 07:29

    OK, now we know what busted looks like! As I have not had my first round of coffee I'm a bit lost for any other ideas than those posted, a damaged housing or one major pressure spike. In all the years dealing with Vickers pumps I don't recall ever seeing a broken housing.

  14. #1456wrench2021-04-06 10:01

    were the vanes or rotor also broken?

  15. #15D6Cat2021-04-06 12:11

    I'm not sure about the vains being broken. It almost looks like the pump has thrown something threw itself

  16. #16Nige2021-04-06 12:57

    .....and jammed the relief valve closed..?

  17. #17D6Cat2021-04-06 13:33

    I'm going to tare into the relief valve and check it out

  18. #18Nige2021-04-06 14:50

    don't stop there. You might as well get into the rest of the system while you're at it. Two pump failures pretty much guarantee that it will be full of contamination.

  19. #1956wrench2021-04-07 11:21

    i'm surprised some part of the shaft didn't break. also, vane pumps do not like cavitation. was this an OEM pump or aftermarket? just my 2 cents

  20. #20kshansen2021-04-07 19:48

    Yes would like to see the insides of the pump rings and the end plates. But I saw dozens or even hundreds of those Vickers pump run to destruction but never saw a case explode like that.