Hi I recently inherited an old D7C dozer I believe. After much hunting I found the sn in the tool box on the lid 17A997 and a C under that. Should be a 1955. Anyways my step brother had tried to start it a few years ago and I believe he started it in gear and fried the clutch. I managed to get it out of gear and had to hand crank it to start it as the starter for the pony was dead. Started easy enough and runs great. This is when I discovered the clutch wasn't working right and after pulling the cover found that it has had better days. What I'm wondering is there somewhere I can get a repair manual for this so I'm not just pulling parts off. Also any good places to try and hunt for parts. Is it going to hurt the value if I swap out the pony motor for a normal starter setup. Or is it even worth putting the money into it to get it working oh also in the picture of the clutch u can see another gear over there that dosnt appear to connect to anything. Might be a lube pump. Am I missing a gear or is it just on the backside where I can't see it?
May want to ask the guys over on the ACMOC Site, The Antique Cat qualifiers are over there for the most part.
The gear in the clutch is the drive for the lube pump and the clutch can be adjusted . Kinda looks like the tracks are wore out. Bob
If it was mine I'd keep it original, it'd worth more in the long run. The clutch plate can be relined so no big issue there and the pressure plate could be refurbished. I can't get my head around people who buy old equipment then have to modernise it when it worked very well back in the day. Just saying.
Inherited it. But my thought was just one less thing to break down. Will probably end up just replacing the starter on the pony. Will still be easy to start, cheaper, less work on my part, and as you said, original. Thanks for the site dmiller I will jump over there and see if they can help me out.
My guess is the clutch is fine and just needs adjusting. Just fix the pony starter and you have one of the best Cats ever made.
so i dont know if i should start a new post or not so trying this first. i rebuilt my main clutch on my d7c dozer. Took forever finding all the parts and one thing after another but its back together. however i am wondering if there is a good place to put the initial setting for the clutch. How the center of the clutch rotates to adjust the clutch and locks with the two locking pads. i hope that makes sense. if not i can take some pictures to try and explain it better. Thanks
IIRC, the service manuals had a measurement inside the housing to preset the clutch to, have not seen one of the old manuals in FOREVER.
Again ACMOC would be your best bet for information regarding the clutch.
Adjust the ring in till the clutch lever snaps over center requiring a 30ish pound pull. Lock ring with 2 nuts . Bob
you can probably find a service manual on eBay.
I have the manuals. It says to adjust as Bluox says. Pounds might be different but I was hoping someone might know a good starting point so that I can adjust it before sticking it into the machine. It would be easier to adjust it before installing.
That tag is not in its original place and may not be the one for the dozer . You can check as the number will be in the casting of the motor directly below the magneto . There is a flat area running along the block above the crankcase . Wire brush and your torch will show it up .
That is ok as long as nobody has changed the engine block