Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6c SERIES ?

charles walton ยท 2022-02-05 14:32

I just bought a D6c,direct drive 3306 engine,direct start,it doesn't have the build plate on it and I can't see the number on the rear housing because of the winch. How can I tell what series it is? 10k,76a ?

Replies20
  1. #1kshansen2022-02-05 16:44

    Not sure of the D6C's but know many of the older Cat loaders the S/N of the engine was the same as the machine. Also if you can see where the tag was they usually had the numbers stamped in to the frame or engine block either next to or under the tags. Also just thought, look on the converter and or transmission to see if there are any tags there that might be a clue.

  2. #2FWD2022-02-05 18:21

    direct drive would be 74A 63-67, 17R 70-76 These are US built machines. I don't know about 68 and 69 as they don't show anything US built. They do show direct drive for those years U kingdom and Japanese built. FWD

  3. #3charles walton2022-02-05 18:59

    I'm not sure about it being a 3306 but it came with electric start,I don't have it home yet ,I will figure it out then. It needs engine work and I bought it for new undercarriage at a price that I can come out by parting it out but I really want to resurrect it. It has a winch and an angle blade. I can do a lot with it if I can get it working without breaking the bank.

  4. #4charles walton2022-02-09 13:54

    Did the 17r come with a 3306 but looks like a 74a ?

  5. #5FWD2022-02-09 14:41

    17R had a D333 engine up to SN 00464, after that a 3306. These would be 72 models. I don't have good knowledge of these tractors, but all I know is from looking to purchase one of these models almost 30 years ago. I remember the 74 and 76A's having a turbocharged engine and the early 10K series not having a turbo. The 10K was a pwer shift tractor sold in the same basic time frame as a 17R. I am using a book called Toolquip which could be wrong. They have in my use to be spot on with the SN info. I hope this helps some, I am by no means an expert on these. At the time I was looking at these I ended up with a TD-15C IH. I had it for 15 years with pretty goo luck, it was a power shift. FWD

  6. #6charles walton2022-02-09 16:03

    Thanks, I can't find a whole lot of info on the direct drive 6c except for the 74a.

  7. #7FWD2022-02-09 17:39

    17R was made for 7 yrs but only 1285 machines, 74A was made for 5 yrs and 2955 were made. Did you ever find a tag on the engine? DWF

  8. #8charles walton2022-02-09 18:49

    I have only seen the machine for about 10 minutes last Saturday,I'll be looking a little harder this weekend.

  9. #9charles walton2022-02-12 09:30

    Found it,74a2583

  10. #10Old Magnet2022-02-12 11:37

    74A2583 is a 1967 production model with D333Ta engine (4-1/2" bore)

  11. #11charles walton2022-02-12 12:20

    Definitely a Thanks for that info,I have just ordered a service manual and parts book. I hope to get it moved and start pulling the engine soon.

  12. #12kshansen2022-02-12 18:53

    Glad to know you have the books on order. I was checking on SIS but does not seem to be anything like that there.

  13. #13charles walton2022-02-12 19:13

    I found them on ebay,we'll see what kind of shape they're in. Genuine manuals from that era.

  14. #14charles walton2022-02-12 19:15

    You wouldn't happen to have any info on where and who bought it new would you? I think I saw where someone on here could trace that stuff.

  15. #15kshansen2022-02-12 19:36

    Not sure but I think the hydraulic system might be considered a separate system from the rest of the machine. Might need a separate parts and service manual for that. Should be a tag on the tank that will give that info.

  16. #16charles walton2022-02-12 20:31
  17. #17charles walton2022-02-12 20:32
  18. #18charles walton2022-03-07 21:33

    Is the crankshaft the same in the different D333 engines?

  19. #19charles walton2024-01-13 20:44

    Will the crank from a D333c work in a D333Ta ?

  20. #20Old Magnet2024-01-14 11:49

    No, D333a is 5.5" stroke, D333c is 6.0" stroke