I'm thinkin I should have replaced my Top Rolls when I had her apart a couple months ago. Money was a little tight and.... Well, I sold off some stuff and got a couple Bucks to play with. Called Cat. Once again they tell Me My serial Number is Wrong. {It Isn't} and that the Part Number 5M7318 is incorrect, {It Isn't Either}. The Tag is on the Machine, and I have a Cat Parts Book. They rattled off a couple numbers of some Top Rolls that May.... fit my Dozer if I can provide the correct serial number Has anyone run into this problem before? I have a 1967 D6C Direct Drive Dozer 74A Series. Aftermarket is all on Backorder. But on the Plus Side, I had a week off and spent most of it on The Old Girl up in the woods Rehabbing my loggin roads gettin ready for this winter's loggin project. Make life a lot easier for my Old Timberjack. I've run 6, 7's and 8's with Cabs, A/C and even Stereos, but you can't beat an Open Air Machine. IMO. Just want to do Her Right. TIA.
I would have thought a D6C roller would be pretty common to find aftermarket.
5M7318 Carrier Roller supercedes to 9S2730, just FYI. 5M7318 was the old style roller where the bearings were adjusted using a big nut #7 on the end of a threaded shaft. 9S2730 is the newer style roller where the bearing adjustment is via a bolted plate on the end of the shaft. As complete assemblies they are interchangeable. You should find the 9S2730 more easily available and possibly at a lower price.
The reason your Cat dealer can't find anything on your 74A-prefix tractor is that it is too old to have information in the online parts system. There is nothing on either the 74A or its powershift brother the 76A. Everything online starts with the next generation (built 1967 onwards) of D6C. This was the 10K & 99J prefixes. However if you go to them wanting a specific Part Number from your paper Parts Manual that should overcome that particular problem. I don't see what their problem is other than you can't fix stupid.
Once again, Thanks Nige. You are The Man. This 9S2730 was one of the numbers they tossed out at me, but couldn't guarantee it would fit my particular machine. Cost, shipping, all that, I wanted it done right the first time. I don't get it. Why couldn't they just tell me the 9S Roll was an updated version. Thanks again.
They are, once I got the Right Part Number. Couldn't get a straight answer from anyone telling if This # was interchangeable with That #. Guess I was askin the Wrong People.
This is the info regarding the update of the 5M7318. The Service Part Number is shown as 9S2730. As you can see among the S/N prefixes that 5M7318 originally fitted are given as 74A/76A.