Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6c winch stopped working

RLG ยท 2026-04-18 17:22

i have a 64 cat D6C with a hyster winch on the back. When I first got the machine i was using the winch to pull out some stumps. The 1st stump i was able to use the short lever to pull it slowly. The next couple I couldn't get the winch to do anything with the short lever but the tall lever would pull them out in high speed. I shut the dozer off after the 4th stump to assess where to go next. After I started it up and pushed the lever nothing would work. After that I hooked the cable to the next stump and tried driving forward. The winch drum started to unwind like the brake wasn't strong enough to hold it. This past weekend I had some time to try and look into why the winch was not working. I first checked the oil level and it was good. I started the machine and started moving the levers to the winch with the machine at an elevated idle, when i pushed them either direction you can hear the motor tone change and bog slightly. Then I pulled off the top cover on the left hand side of the winch exposing the control valve. I cracked the 2 lines on top and oil would slowly drip out while the dozer was running. I pulled off the top rear hose and started the machine, it flows oil at a good rate but nothing high pressure. I located the screen filter (small square cover in the 2nd picture) there was some debris but nothing blocking it. With the filter off i started the machine and at an elevated idle i put my hand over the port the screen screws onto bit did not feel suction. When I removed my hand I could hear the pump making noise. I'm a bit stumped and I'm not sure what else to check or do to get the winch working again. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1Old Magnet2026-04-18 18:37

    Check for leaking or collapsed suction hose. https://www.alliedsystems.com/pdf/Winch/Manuals/599187W.pdf

  2. #2RLG2026-04-18 19:25

    are you talking about this hose?

  3. #3Old Magnet2026-04-18 19:58

    Yes, that one!!!

  4. #4RLG2026-04-18 20:00

    Thanks, I'll try that next time I get to it. The dozer is in Maine and i live in ct

  5. #5Old Magnet2026-04-26 21:10

    Be sure to check the suction line screen also. Under the 5-bolt cover.

  6. #6RLG2026-04-26 21:37

    Yes i cleaned that out when I opened it up. I'm hoping to get up to the machine in 2 weeks to change out the suction hose.