Hi what is the correct battery size for a Cat D6D?
I think it was 2 4D batteries . Bob
I think you are right. Someone has the wrong batteries in this currently. Also if anyone has a picture of the correct mounting for the batteries I would appreciate it.
I suppose it is colder then a witches tit in NY compared to the climate where I live so you need the big batteries. I just run two 4wd car batteries in mine. Combined with a geared starter motor and starting is no problem. Do not have to heat the engine though.
Yes it is. Currently This have 2 31T batteries and they don't want to get the job done.
Mine has 4DLT’s but I am sure it was born 4D’s
4Ds
Believe that would be right, but to be sure what are the dimensions of the battery box? I say use the biggest pair of batteries that will fit!
2 4d around 900 cca will do. Posts to front of machine, hot from starter closest to door, jumper in middle, ground to battery switch near seat.
31 batteries are listed for certain markets (generally hotter climates or so it seems), 4D for others. The illustration from the Parts Manual showing how the batteries are installed. If you want the actual parts manual for your machine then post a Serial Number.
if the 31's aren't doing the job, you may have problems besides the smaller battery. Are you trying to start this down around 0 F ? that's where the amps drop off and the diesels get hard to start. If not, you could swap a known good pair of batteries, try jumper cables, or do some volt drop tests on your batteries, wiring, starter. If they're old batteries already, never mind me.
On a somewhat related note: I had issues last month starting my little JD 401 Industrial tractor once the temp starting getting colder. It has a dual battery set up (two 12v in parallel for max amp) and both batteries were tested good. Turns out I had a bad negative cable that wasn't allowing full amps to the starter. One connector had high resistance and the other was cracked and not making full contact to the post. During static voltage tests, I had good voltages all around but starting voltages would drop significantly. Recommend testing the resistance and double checking all your cables.
Good point, chassis ground cables have a tendency to get neglected. Make sure the chassis contact point of the negative cable is sitting on clean, shiny metal. I like to put a little bit of copper neversieze on mine to help hold corrosion back.