Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6D final drive

rmk4x4 ยท 2014-02-16 20:27

i have a d6d that the need to be put togeather and moved for were it is now. The story goes the old guy that had took it apart for some reason had a whole wore in the case from the track being loose looks like something got in there and messed up some of the gears. So at the point it is now looks like it was going back togeather when he passed. The bad part is I can only get to the cat with 4 wheelers at this point. can I leave the final gutted of it gears and press the sprocket back on just to get it to the road and on a lowboy. I am pretty sure I can get it out with just one track steering with the blade. or am I off my rocker on that idea I have never been into a D6 final but have been in a D8k a number of times seem to look at bout the same. Is there any way of pressing the sprocket back on with out the proper tools.

Replies8
  1. #1Bob/Ont2014-02-16 21:22

    If you get hub bearings on and adjusted they will hold the sprocket in place so you can wrap the track. If you get the tractor running and driving on the other side you might get it out to the road with the help of a D3 or bigger machine. Trying to move it as is would be a Challenge around a concrete yard. Later Bob

  2. #2GregD12014-02-16 22:33

    If you already know the gears are bad and has other problems, the least of your problems is worrying about tearing up a bearing. Yes you will need the proper tools to pres the sprocket on to the correct dimension.

  3. #3rmk4x42014-02-16 22:51

    this is how it sits now I am about 5-6 hours from the nearest cat dealer for parts I want to just get it to the road and take back to the shop for a proper rebuild. The dozer is on a property that needs to be sold and it needs to get off of there one way or another

  4. #4Bruce Higgins2014-02-17 10:16

    If your plan is to take it to a shop I wouldn't worry about pressing the hub back on. Slide it on the splines and tighten the nut up against it. Put the outer hub on and set the bearings up. Move it and load it.

  5. #5Mobiltech2014-02-17 13:42

    If you can get a good sized excavator in there leave everything off and carry one side with the hoe. You will need something to move the track frame with anyway. The hoe will also help for loading on the trailer. You will need some bocks for under the hardbar when its on the trailer.

  6. #654j2014-02-17 17:50

    no idea how far you need to move it.....but just a thought....is that winch on the back working???.....either drag the thing across the paddock to the truck....or get a tilt/slide tray in to where the dozer is and recover it using their winch. It's only a d6...a 12t tilt tray will go most places (dry) and pick it up no probs. Just some thoughts.

  7. #7rmk4x42014-02-17 20:37

    Seems I am on the right track on just putting it togeather and walking dragging it out. I have maybe a mile to go all down hill to get it to a road good enough to get a lowboy to it. All I will have for other equipment there is a 450 dozer with a backhoe. I drove close to it this fall when it was frozen going to make another trip out there out there before it thaws. I am hoping to gather the parts that are lying around and bring them home and clean them up and get a better game plan. it wont be till june or so till I can get a lowboy in to haul it off. once I get it home to the shop it will be when I get to it project as I have no need for a dozer this size right now.

  8. #8old-iron-habit2014-02-17 21:25

    Do you have any snow there. I would think that with a little low friction snow to slide on one could build a ski for the dead side and drive one track and with the 450 pulling the ski side it might move right along. It could be loaded with the winch come spring.