Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6d left final drive oil low, no exterior leak

mlaird37 ยท 2025-09-03 15:54

Went to look at a nice d6d today. Everything checked out except the left final drive oil was gunky and very low. There were no visible leaks anywhere and the guy ran the machine pretty hard for 30-40mins. Could the gear oil be leaking internally somewhere? How big of an issue is this? Dozer runs great and has been well taken care of.

Replies6
  1. #1.RC.2025-09-03 16:04

    The oil can defy gravity and leak back into the steering clutch housing. Is the transmission oil gaining?

  2. #2pittsburgh cat man2025-09-03 16:25

    If it was me I'd be looking at the dead shaft on the inside of frame where the roller frame wishbone connects

  3. #3mlaird372025-09-03 16:51

    Transmission fluid seemed normal. I took oil, trans and final drive samples awaiting results

  4. #4D6 Merv2025-09-04 01:37

    Definetly the 1st place to look. If its oily looking around that inside castellated nut it can mean sadness, espcially if its been used like that for awhile. I would be dropping oil out to look for any sparkly stuff

  5. #5mlaird372025-09-04 11:59

    I did take a 4oz sample of the existing oil and am awaiting results but did now see any obvious metal.

  6. #6TomA2025-09-05 11:21

    Yes. I have read of horror stories of loose dead axles on D6c-d model Cats.