Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6d steering

Landclearer ยท 2017-01-06 16:56

I need to adjust steering on our 6d and there is nothing in the operators manual. Any help would be appreciated!

Replies8
  1. #1kshansen2017-01-06 18:24

    Not to familiar with dozers in general but do have access to SIS and could see if there was a good instruction sheet on adjusting the steering, thing is when I looked as SIS there are twenty some different prefixes shown for D6D and no telling how many different S/N breaks in each one that could call for some different adjustment procedure. SOOOOOOOO, if you care to get an accurate set of instructions feel free to post with a complete S/N and I, or someone else will be glad to help. Not trying to be a jerk, some might say I can do that without tying , but the more and better information we/I get the better the information you get in return!

  2. #2Landclearer2017-01-06 18:52

    Thanks for the quick reply. I should have thought to give the sn. It is 06X01818. Thanks for taking time to help out on this. It's been a long time since I had to adjust steering

  3. #3tctractors2017-01-07 02:40

    All you can adjust on a D6D is the Brakes, the D series tractors have hand control steering and brakes with hydraulic control, you don't need brake peddle's depressing to turn, so start off by putting your foot on the brake peddles with the engine stopped, if they go flat to the bulkhead all you do is adjust the brakes via 2 caps under the fuel tank, these caps have 3 bolts holding them each, turn in the adjuster just tight then undo 9 flats 1 1/2 turns, hop back in the seat and depress both peddles and check for even hight and distance of travel, you are looking for about 3" of travel to be good, adjust as required to give this distance with a light foot pressure. tctractors

  4. #4lantraxco2017-01-07 02:52

    From the rear, below fuel tank, top of main case, cover on each side with three bolts, remove cover, tighten long nut until it comes up snug, don't force it, back off nine clicks, replace covers. If you have winch or other attachment on the back, may be difficult or darn near impossible to get to.

  5. #5oldirt2017-01-07 06:48

    is it your brakes that you want to adjust? if pulling the clutch lever does not release the clutch you have another issue that must be attended to. TCT will describe the procedure.

  6. #6Landclearer2017-01-07 20:16

    First I want to thank everyone for the help! That said, I did a little testing today. The brakes work fine and I do not see any problem with them. The left clutch works fine the right clutch does not work as well. I would say it only works about 30 percent(as far as steering the machine goes) and the lever does not go back in without a little push. Any thought would be appreciated.

  7. #7DoyleX2017-01-08 09:04

    Under the seat you will see the steering valve. Run the lever. Complete free movement? Same travel at the valve both sides? Could have a worn linkage point. There is 2 elbow pipes the come off of the steering valve and go into the gearcase with pipe plugs on them. Pressure should be no less than 10psi under pump pressure(300-320?) with the lever pulled. If you have a loss in pressure seals on the steering hubs are leaking.

  8. #8Landclearer2017-01-08 15:42

    Thanks Doylex. That is now on my list of things to check. Hopefully I will get a few fee hours this week during the daylight hours.