Hello everyone, Longtime lurker and have learned much already from this forum! This is my first post, so here goes: I have a D6D 4X series and the left brake does not engage when you pull the sterring clutch leaver back all the way while going forward. The brake will engage when you pull the sterring clutch leaver while backing up. Is this a brake adjustment needed or do I have more serious problems? How do you adjust the brake? Right brake/steering works fine! Have had this tractor over ten years on my farm no problems till now. Cannot complain. Thanks
To start, go to the back of the tractor and look for two triangle covers, one on each side. Under them are the brake band adjusters. Tighten right up then back off 9 clicks or 1 and 1/2 turns. See how it workes then. Later Bob
The standard adjustment procedure is just the way Bob describes it above. Sometimes they need a little tweeking though. Mash down on both brake pedals an see if they hit the floor. If they do you need to pull cover (as Bob described) an tighten each side up til both pedals are a couple inches off the floor. Number 29 in the illustration is what you will be adjusting. At the rear of machine. DO NOT adjust on the linkages. Good luck!
I've had to adjust the left brake on our D6D twice recently and the agents reckon the bands are probably worn out. Would this be correct? It has been trouble free up to now and I just wonder if it could be losing adjustment somewhere? It needs track gear anyway so we might have to rip into it while it's in town...
You,ll soon know if its out of adjustment; you won,t be able to tighten the adjuster screw anymore, it will be tight, and still have a lot of pedal movement. Left brake wears more as most people use right foot to decelerate and left foot to tap left brake pedal when stopping for direction changes. Brake reline is a steering clutch out job, as brake band is one piece !
Yeah, I'm preparing myself mentally for it to be opened right up. It's my favourite tractor though, so I don't mind giving it some loving. I have to confess that I'm guilty of the left foot tap on the brakes when stopping to reverse...
well don,t be shy kiwi; put up a centrefold of her :drinkup whereabouts over here are you ??
I'll see what I can find. Wairarapa.
Thanks for all the information. I will adjust brakes like Bob/Ont and JeremialSr said and hope it works!
HI Farmer Tom; I saw your post about steering brake problem,I seem to be having the exact same problem, What was your Remedy? You can call up You would like 325 320 8243, I have this tractor close to being torn apart, Mechanics standing by Your Help would be Greatly App. thanks
Are these linings worn out? Do they have any life let?
Hi everyone, im getting ready to do my Cat D6D brakes adjustment tomorrow.Its very slack but tries to steer.Hope y'all have questions.Im a mechanic.