Just bought this dozer and the gauges and warning lights/hour meter lcd aren’t working. When I turn the key on none of them do anything at all, and no buzzer. I’ve checked the schematic and if I’m reading it correctly: the gauge cluster gets power from the warning light cluster on green wire E707. Checked that wire and it is dead. So I went back the warning light cluster and it is powered by switched battery power orange wire 113 and it has 24v with the key on as it should. So the warning light cluster is getting correct voltage but that voltage is not being passed through the cluster to the wire that powers up the gauge cluster. 1. Does this mean my warning light cluster needs to be replaced? 2. Is there a common failure with these that can be repaired? 3. Can I bypass the warning light and send power directly from the orange wire 113 that feeds it over to the gauge cluster to power it up in the meantime, and if I do will it even work (?) Because the data wires also seem to be passing through the warning light cluster (?)
I'm not sure but I suspect that the E707 wire between the WLC & the GC is "signalled power", in other words something in the WLC circuitry actually energizes E707. As you point out there are also data wires between the two so providing direct power to the GC might not give the desired result. Haven't heard anything about common faults in the WLC. They either work or they don't, and they are used on a wide range of models so should be readily available. Personally I'd suggest just replacing the WLC.
Ah. Yes. I hadn’t considered that. I was working off the assumption that the GC required switched 24v to power up but what you’re saying does seem more likely since the power comes from the WLC rather than switched battery power. Guess I’m gonna try replacing it but it seems I recall running across a thread somewhere talking about replacing those and how they might require initialization and something about a harness code(?) does that sound right or ami thinking about something else entirely?
…and thanks for the schematic BTW. I got it from one of your older posts. It has been a great help.
TBH I can't remember. I need to go digging.
See this LINK . It appears as though the need to initialize a replacement WLC module is going to be very dependent on the Part Number of the module that is currently installed and that of the replacement. As a suggestion if you can find a used WLC module of the same P/N that is on your machine from somewhere it will be already initialized.
So I did remember that correctly. I just didn’t read (or didn’t remember) far enough to find that solution. I guess I’ll try that.
Really appreciate the info.
Well, initial internet search is leading me to believe that finding a used WLC is far from likely. I can’t even find an image of that module except for ones on dozers for sale. I can’t even find it on cat parts or SIS2 to get a part number. I guess I’m gonna have to call the dealer.
Try searching by Part Number. Machinery Trader Parts would be a good place to start. First look at the one in your machine. There should be a sticker on the back side of it with the Part Number. According to SIS the Part Number is 126-9401. That number updates to the following sequence - 157-3570 -> 178-5038 -> 196-4681 -> 252-4501 . The first three P/Ns in the list are "plug & play", the last one is the EMS III that (when purchased new) has to have the 311-2588 software installed in it to make it function. However if you could get a used one it would be already programmed. If all else fails and you have to buy new make sure you negotiate with your dealer to have the software installed as part of the purchase price. The absolute latest P/N (replacing 252-4501) for your D6M is a 569-8638. See attached.
Forgot to add, Cat sell a Reman version of 252-4501/569-8638 under Part Number 10R5894. I'm not 100% sure what Part Numbers are classed as acceptable for Core Return against that 10R number though.
Oh wow. Man you did some research. I tried to run that same process of drilling down through all the replacements but I wasn’t having any luck finding a part number to start with that I was certain was the correct one. I did pull the module out today and the sticker is not readable so I guess I’ll start with the info you found. Since I had it out I decided to dig into it and see if there was anything visibly wrong with it and found this (see attached) so it’s pretty safe to assume it’s not repairable.
Man I REALLY appreciate the help. Thanks to you I’m certain I now know what the problem is and have a much better grasp on how to resolve it. Thanks NIGE!
If you look right next to the WLC module (Operator Monitor) on the schematic the Part Number is marked right there. I started from that then searched SIS using that number and 4JN which took me straight to it. From there on the Part Number progression was simple to trace. Probably less than 5 mnutes work.
I did find that on the schematic but I couldn’t tell from the description and photos in sis or cat parts if it was for certain the correct part because I wasn’t 100% certain I’d that schematic would be from the era of the very first part number etc… and of course there was no option to purchase it because it’s been superseded a half dozen times as you pointed out. Just couldn’t come up with enough information to verify that it was correct and never found one that could actually be purchased. I’d still be digging through all that if not for your help. Really appreciate it.