Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6m transmission value?

Hekenk ยท 2013-08-12 22:33

Hi everyone, I bought some property which ended up having a couple of caterpillar parts. I did a little research and believe they are from a D6M. Can anyone tell me what the value of tranny is out of one of these? I called the previous owner and he said he pulled it out working. I am trying to recoup some money from the land purchase. I see that ebay and other places lists them at 10 to 15 grand rebuilt. is that realistic?

Replies12
  1. #1Hekenk2013-08-12 23:09

    I'm hoping its at least worth 15 hundred. Lol. It is what it is.

  2. #2Hekenk2013-08-12 23:27

    Might help if you can see it. I'm just asking for an opinion nothing more. Thanks

  3. #3Hekenk2013-08-12 23:30

    Just as I found it

  4. #4Hekenk2013-08-12 23:32
  5. #5Nige2013-08-13 07:56

    That Part Number has been cancelled and replaced by 180-4716. In turn 180-4716 was then discontinued and is no longer available for sale. That may mean there is a limited market for this transmission. New price is listed as $51,000. I'm sure there must be more than $1500 in it in parts if it was broken for sale. $10-15,000 would be realistic for a rebuilt working transmission but in your case you have no idea what you have and the internal condition. Either way as it sits for someone with the machine it fits in it has to be worth more than $1500 even if they have to strip it and overhaul it.

  6. #6Hekenk2013-08-13 08:27

    Thanks for the very informative response. Wish I had the machine to put it in. I just threw it on Ebay for 1500 hopefully I get more. :drinkup I am surprised they would discontinue such a critical part.

  7. #7SchuLace2013-08-13 22:55

    It's not really discontinued in that you can't get a transmissions for that machine anymore. It just changes up to a new part number. Really common in the Cat world.

  8. #8JDOFMEMI2013-08-18 18:31

    In my opinion, and past experience, good working transmissions are rarely pulled and left somewhere. It would be my opinion that it would be only a good core to rebuild prior to using. I would say $1,500 to $3,000 as a good core to build. Good luck

  9. #9Nige2013-08-18 19:21

    That number and the one that replaces it are both discontinued. You can't get an assembly any more, however you can order the various groups separately that make up the assembly. I actually had a word on my dealer's parts person before making the posting above.

  10. #10SchuLace2013-08-19 20:25

    I missed the part where you said the new number was discontinued as well. I have seen that quite a bit lately with major components. Hekene- Check with T&E out of Montana or Yellowstone valley. They may be interested in buying it from you

  11. #11Selfcash2015-07-20 12:45

    Do you still have the D6M Trans ?

  12. #12Selfcash2015-07-21 15:55

    D6M trans Hi, do you still have the D6M trans ? please give me a call 780 921 3334