Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6N in neutral, won’t go into gear

Peter Boettcher · 2024-02-11 19:12

My 2005 D6N fires up fine but will not go into gear. Park brake comes off, and it tries to turn but can't turn on the spot without being in gear. Also, the engine only rives up to 1850 RPM's. The drive shaft from the torque converter to the transmission does not turn when the machine is running . I am wondering if it should it be turning when its running without being in gear? The codes are: 36 - 0091.02, 0296.09 113 - 0672.02, 0177.04, 0168.04 I've checked the torque converter output speed sensor for resistance (926 ohm at -5 celcius) and proper spacing to the gear. Also repaired some wiring on this sensor which was in rough shape. I took the transmission filter out and cut it open as well. The oil was light brown but I didn't find anything too concerning.

Replies20
  1. #1Simon C2024-02-11 19:22

    Post your serial number and maybe someone with some info may help out. Simon C

  2. #2Nige2024-02-11 19:32

    It should turn all the time when the transmission is in neutral and stop dead when any gear is selected. Try draining the transmission oil and look at what's in the transmission suction line screen.

  3. #3Nige2024-02-11 19:34

    ALY01433 if I'm not mistaken.

  4. #4Peter Boettcher2024-02-11 19:38
  5. #5Peter Boettcher2024-02-11 19:38

    I added Serial number to original post

  6. #6Peter Boettcher2024-02-12 09:30

    Ok.

  7. #7Nige2024-02-12 15:09

    I should have said “it will turn with the transmission in neutral and the engine idling, then stop dead when you engage any gear.” Don’t try it with the engine speed anything above idling.

  8. #8Peter Boettcher2024-02-12 15:18

    Makes sense. Thanks

  9. #9Peter Boettcher2024-02-15 16:02
  10. #10Peter Boettcher2024-02-15 16:05

    Found these parts on the torque converter suction screen. Transmission suction screen was fine. Does anyone recognize what these come from? Next step is to take torque converter out, just wondering if these parts can identity anything I can do before. The steering pump also sounds like it is not getting enough oil and the pressure is low.

  11. #11JAJ2024-02-15 16:25

    Are they metal? A bit hard to tell but it looks like they are painted all over?? Some almost look like rust chunks that have come loose from somewhere after a “Dulux rebuild”?? Very interesting to hear what the experts say!!!!

  12. #12Peter Boettcher2024-02-15 16:27

    They are plastic.

  13. #13Mobiltech2024-02-15 16:49

    Can you turn the driveshaft with a bar when it’s not running? If not take the driveshaft off and see if the input yoke to the trans will turn by hand , not running. Also try starting it with driveshaft removed to see if the torque spins then. I am wondering if the trans piled up and won’t turn putting the torque in torque stall mode keeping engine down at 1850 rpm. I have seen this on an older d7.

  14. #14JAJ2024-02-15 16:50

    Ah ok the couple big bits looked like plastic but I wasn’t sure. I have no idea, it’s not what I would expect to see come out of there but I am no expert.

  15. #15Peter Boettcher2024-02-15 17:08

    I'll try this, thanks

  16. #16Nige2024-02-15 18:54

    I don't think we've asked this question yet but how exactly did the no drive problem develop.? Working one day, not the next, OR slowly got worse over time until the tractor wouldn't drive.? I can't see anything plastic inside that torque converter (attached), but I may be missing something. I dunno what anyone else thinks but before pulling the converter I'd be wanting to put some pressure gauges on (at least) the pump, converter inlet/outlet, and maybe a couple of other places as well.

  17. #17Peter Boettcher2024-02-20 15:59

    Thanks. Working one day and not the next. No warning. Been checking pressures and discharge of torque converter is not making any pressure. Steering pump sounding like it's out of oil. It's in a shop now to be taken apart.

  18. #18Nige2024-02-20 17:58

    I got news for you. It doesn’t have a steering pump. I hope the shop it’s gone to understand how the system works or you could potentially get rinsed. EDIT: Study the attachment, then you might know more than they do........

  19. #19Peter Boettcher2024-02-20 19:56

    Thanks. Okay, good to know. I look forward to reading the attachment. The shop it went to knows these machines well I believe.

  20. #20Nige2024-02-20 20:02

    For your sake I hope so.