Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6N XL LOOSING POWER

Chuckf333 · 2022-03-03 15:23

When the transmission is engaged i can only get 1500 rpm if its disengaged i get 2100 rpm i can move the blade and rippers and it doesn't bogg at all. Any gear above 1.5 and it barely pulls itself and if i try to turn it will come to a stop. Blowing some black smoke. It had a active code for the torque converter speed sensor I replaced it and the codes not active now. The brakes release as they should. When in neutral, parking brake off and i try to turn it doesn't bog down at all and I notice that only the right hand track it's pulling. I was not sure if there is just one turning motor? Fresh fuel filters,air filter,all turbo boots are good. Just seems like it's related to the transmission being engaged. Thanks for any input.

Replies9
  1. #1Nige2022-03-03 17:10

    I’d suggest pulling off the intake hose between the air cleaner and the turbo to check the turbo condition. Does it have any end play at all.? Are the blades rubbing on the housing.? You think it’s possibly a transmission problem but the list of all the filters you changed does not include the transmission filter. Did you change it.? If not I suggest that should be your next step and make sure that you cut the old filter and check for particles. While you’re at it drain the oil and clean out the transmission suction screen. Post photos of whatever you find. Post a Serial Number so we can identify which particular model of D6N you have.

  2. #2Chuckf3332022-03-03 17:21

    CAT00D6NPLJR00632 I just started working on this dozer for a new customer I'll have to find out about the last transmission service. I checked the turbo no slop feels good spins good. Thanks for the help i will report back about the trans. Also is there just one turning motor?

  3. #3Nige2022-03-03 17:26

    Only one diff steer motor. Try jacking it up on the blade and the ripper until the tracks are off the floor then with the tracks in the air and the transmission in neutral try steering it to the left and to the right and see what happens - not only with the tracks but the engine rpm also. What happens to the engine RPM if you engage 3rd speed and try to accelerate the engine against the brakes with the machine stopped.?

  4. #4Chuckf3332022-03-03 17:28

    Ok thank you sir

  5. #5Chuckf3332022-03-04 11:48

    Small update the trans filter was changed last October has less than 30 hrs on it they did not drop the belly and pull the screen. I was checking the steering last night while monitoring the speeds and voltage to the solenoids and after a few tries it quit trying to turn all together while in neutral I can hear something when I activate the turning motor but no speed register and no motion but it still works when you engage forward or reverse.

  6. #6Nige2022-03-04 12:23

    Did you try stalling the transmisson in 3rd speed against the brakes.? What RPM did the engine lug down to.? Any black smoke.?

  7. #7Chuckf3332022-03-21 16:35

    Sorry so long for an update it was the transmission screen cloged up with rubber after telling the customer, i was then told someone put the trans filter in upside down and that collapse the filter then the problem started. Thanks for all the help

  8. #8Nige2022-03-21 17:55

    Amazing how easy it is to find the root cause of a problem as soon as you get the FULL story isn't it..?

  9. #9Chuckf3332022-08-16 15:06

    Nige i have another problem and question? D6N #NPLJR00632 it has become hard to start, I've changed all 3 fuel filters, checked and have good fuel flow. It will fire right up with a gas rag and run great but it takes a very long time to start if at all on its own, cold or hot. I removed the valve cover and i was going to crack a injector line and the tube from the injector turned instead,so i cranked the engine and the rubber boot expanded so i stoped. I tightened the tube up and cranked the engine again and it fired right away and ran great. Every time I repeated this process it would fire right up. Any suggestions also i don't have access to ET at this time. Original complaint was operator was running made a turn and machine died and wouldn't start just turn over.