Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6N XL–Purchase Advice

rshackleford ยท 2014-08-11 20:21

Our company is looking to purchase a dozer. We have used in the past with success Komatsu D61's and D65. Our main purpose of use is backfill behind an excavator during pipeline install. We have a D4 and it is just too small. We require a six way blade. We would really like a D6R or D6T but they are beyond our price point and are concerned they might be a little more machine than we need. We have prices on a 1500 hour D6N XL at $200k and a brand new machine at $250k. Any comments or advice on the D6N XL in the last two model year? How does Cat handle the emissions? I am sure this thread is out there a bunch of times so I apologize in advance for the repeat. TIA.

Replies3
  1. #1CM19952014-08-11 20:46

    I'll give you my experience with a D6N, although it was a 2006 model. Bought it new with cab and rippers, it was a great machine. Good balance as a grading tractor and could bulk push if you set up slots - even with a 6 way. It was a comfortable tractor to operate with good power and good lines of site to the blade. Used it for everything from bulk pushing to fine grading slopes and topsoil. Unfortunately had to get rid of it in 2009 as the construction market crashed, I miss that dozer. I think it would fit the bill nicely for what you describe and run circles around a D4 in that situation.

  2. #2Construct'O2014-08-12 08:37

    Depending on how much spoil you have to move from the excavation of the pipeline.I would be looking for a D6R if your talking something like a 24" pipe laid at 6' deep.Most of the time you will be cornering into the pile to backfill the trench so the extra weight really helps the production. The D6N would be a major improvement then the D4.Good luck

  3. #3rshackleford2014-08-12 09:53

    Typical install is 12" pipe, 36-48" bucket, 7' of cover on pipe. Most of the time we can back up and move into the pile. Sometimes we get sticky land owners that require us to stay on our tight, tight easement and do need to corner into the pile.