Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6R fan belt replacement

KS8780 ยท 2021-06-27 21:36

Kinda a new guy question but I need to replace the fan v-belts on a new to me D6R #5LN02787 with the mechanical 3306 and wonder if anyone knows the best way to do it? I have looked thru all my manuals but can't find anything. I am wondering if I need to remove the fan cage to fish the belts around the fan blade or is there a better/easier way I'm not seeing? Also wondering where the high side a/c gauge connection might be? I found the low side down at the compressor but haven't seen the high side anywhere yet. Haven't looked to hard yet either Thanks

Replies20
  1. #1Nige2021-06-27 22:32

    Fan belts you'll probably end up removing at least one piece of the guard. It splits into 4 pieces vertically top to bottom and side-to-side. After that remove the bolts holding the fan spider to the fan hub and lean it against the back side of the radiator while you thread the belts around everything. High side aircon connector (#3) is right by the low side one (#2) on the back of the compressor. (#36 is the O-Ring on the fitting BTW) Did you ever get to the bottom of your problem with the tilt cylinders.?

  2. #2Welder Dave2021-06-27 22:41

    If it's anything like my 931B, you also have to remove the sheet metal shroud around the fan (if it has one, so you can get at the bolts on the fan hub) but it could just be moved back once the bolts are removed. Seems to me I changed the fan belt without having to remove the fan but it depends on how long the belts are if they'll get around the fan.

  3. #3KS87802021-06-27 22:56

    Thanks guys. I noticed the fan cage is sectional so that may help. I am hoping I can work the belts around the fan without having to remove the blade. Good to know the high side connector is there also. I couldn't get my hand down low enough to feel the bottom side I guess. I will remove that small side panel and hopefully see more from there. I haven't had time to check the tilt cylinder problem further. I got busy with spring planting and I've got a couple weeks of wheat harvest coming up. I hope to figure it out after that.

  4. #4Nige2021-06-27 22:59

    I'm thinking your fan belts are going to be way too short to feed them over the fan with it in place. Once you have a piece of the fan guard out then removing the bolts and leaning the fan spider against the back side of the radiator isn't difficult but is likely a knuckle-skinner unless you're careful.

  5. #5KS87802021-06-27 23:18

    Yes. I'm afraid of that. I've been down that road many times before. It makes you wonder why they designed it that way but they never asked me so it is what it is I guess.

  6. #6Bluox2021-06-28 00:04

    I really drought you have to take the fan off, the belt only has to go over 1/2 the fan. You will have to remove half the fan guard. Take the old one off ,by looping the belt over the first fan blade and turn the fan going over each fan blade till you get back to the first one and the belt drops out. Reverse to put on new one. I don't cut fan belts off because you may have to put it back on if they gave you the wrong one. Bob

  7. #7kshansen2021-06-28 09:01

    Bob! Now how can you think that way about those nice parts counter people! That is the number one reason I always liked to have access to parts books! If someone screwed up at least I would know who and that guy would not do it the next time!

  8. #8Welder Dave2021-06-28 10:25

    It's nice to compare the old with new before putting the new one on. No sense destroying your knuckles on the rad. any more than you have to. New is normally a little shorter but as long as the alternator has some adjustment to go back you're good to go. I like the Cat fan guards and wonder when Cat started using them and why? Parts of a fan came flying out on a machine years ago?

  9. #9Bluox2021-06-28 12:51

    The fan screens are on there to keep your monkey ass out of the fan ,they generally won't keep flying fan parts in. Bob

  10. #10Welder Dave2021-06-28 13:10

    I realize that but why does some equipment have them and some doesn't. Trucks don't have them. Wondering if something happened way back when that was the reason Cat put them on?

  11. #11Bluox2021-06-28 14:41

    All the trucks I work on have them I can't remember working on any equipment in the last40 years that didn't. Bob

  12. #12Nige2021-06-28 14:47

    On all Cat haul trucks be they rigid or wiggle wagons the only reason for one not to have a fan guard is because somebody has removed it and not put it back. In my experience on suction fans the fan spider tends to try to screw itself into the radiator if anything fails. Pusher fans like the ones on track-type tractors are a bit different. Shrapnel from them can go anywhere.

  13. #13Welder Dave2021-06-28 15:04

    I figured they are to contain shrapnel. Wondering if their was an incident(s) that caused them to become standard on dozers and similar equipment? For trucks I was referring to on highway trucks. They use similar engines. Ag tractors and smaller equipment don't have the fan guards either. Just curious why some machines have them and some don't?

  14. #14Bluox2021-06-28 15:47

    I bet anything in the last 30 years has. Bob They may slow a plastic fan down but most metal fans are heading for another zip code. Bob

  15. #15Cmark2021-06-28 16:22

    Back to the original question. IMO, the belt will R&R without taking the fan off. D6Rs are getting to the age now where pulleys are wearing out. If the belts come loose again fairly quickly, be prepared to trouser up the cash for a new set. My other free tip is about the adjuster on the alternator. It is (should be) a long 1/2" unf rod. Take it off and wire-wheel and oil it so the nuts run nice and free. You won't regret it.

  16. #16KS87802021-06-28 17:02

    Got it done. Thanks to all. Took the right lower fan guard off along with the alternator as I was replacing the pulley on that also. Took the engine door off along with the lower engine panel and it wasn't too bad of a job. I had to dig the crap out from under the damper to get the belts slid off and the belts then fed around the fanblade fine. It looks like I need to drop the pan and clean the belly out also. The good news is the job is done and the a/c was still charged and seems to work with a good belt on it. I also picked up a set of sweeps for scrap price from the Cat dealer the other day while getting my belts. I have everything except the brackets that bolt to the platform/step by the doors that the uprights bolt to but they look easy enough to fab up sometime. Happy to get them as the few trees I have pushed out so far showed that sweeps would be a good idea.

  17. #17Welder Dave2021-06-28 17:18

    My skid steer is a 94 and it doesn't have a guard around the fan. I've seen much newer skid steers that also don't have a guard, shrouds for the air but not an additional cage around the fan. My dump truck is also a 94 and doesn't have an additional cage around the fan. I was more interested in what prompted the cages and if there are any stories of fans flying off and causing damage to either the equipment or a person?

  18. #18Oldcatpusher2021-06-28 18:57

    An extra deep snap on 3/4 fuel tank socket is your best friend on the alternator and ac compressor I believe. I run the nut off and remove bracket in less then a minute. No wrenching till the very end on the inside but. Just done several sets. Those fine all threads can eat up time 1/8" turn at a time.

  19. #19kshansen2021-06-28 19:15

    Belly pans are to my mind the most over looked maintenance points on equipment! Just imagine what will happen if that pan is filled with dirt and you back into or over a rock or other hard object, you can split open the oil pan and in a blink of the eye you have an engine seized from lack of oil! Or on the other hand those oil lines going to the oil cooler rot away while buried in the wet mud in the pan and now you risk destroying the transmission or hydraulic system. Sorry about the rant but..............

  20. #20Welder Dave2021-06-28 19:37

    Belly pans are great... except when you have to remove them out in the field because something went wrong. In my case the main hyd. line to the control valve. Not only had to lay in 60 litre's of oil but the machine sank some in the soft ground and I had to fight to get the belly pan pushed back enough to fall from the cross member between the track frames. Belly pan has a metal piece to go over the edge of the I beam cross member and has to be slid back to let it fall. Not fun repairing that. Someone used plastic and metal pieces to take up the space on Cat reusable fittings put together with non Cat hose. Really stupid idea!