Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6R III Battery drain

watglen ยท 2014-01-28 10:06

D6RIII wrg00413 Something changed at Christmas. Machine was in shop for service and batteries went dead. Poked around and realized there is a .25 amp draw on the batteries with everything shut down. The disconnect switch cuts the current. I pulled all the automotive style fuses in the panel beside the batteries, but the current draw persists. I pulled the two wires off the alternator, but the draw persists. The only thing that cuts the current is the disconnect switch. I haven't pulled the 175amp fuse. Its a bit rusty. At christmas we did some welding on the blade etc. Ground was kept close to the weld area. How should I proceed to track this down? Thanks, Ken

Replies5
  1. #1Delmer2014-01-28 11:11

    Dang, I wanted to say alternator so bad. You only have two wires to the alternator? or two small wires and one big wire?

  2. #2Nige2014-01-28 12:22

    First up, if you want the Electrical Schematic PM me your e-mail address. That might help your diagnosis. Second. Does it have any "home-made additions" to the electrical system that might be wired outside the normal electrical system, even to the extent of bypassing fuses and circuit breakers ...? Third. Does it have Accugrade on it..? You'll need to pull the 175A fuse, because it goes to both the Main Power Relay and also the Start Relay.

  3. #3tj_farmer2014-01-28 18:00

    is whatever you run for guidence on your plow unhitched, my gps screen runs on 12 volt so i got a converter for 24-12v, i run a sep switch to it in the cab so i can turn it off each night easy. i usually turn off the master disconnect also, but thats just me

  4. #4watglen2014-01-29 11:43

    After some further checking it looks like the gps and plow control gear draws .27 amps at 24V. The tractor and engine ECM pull about .03amps. After discussing with the gps provider, I figure the unit is working as it should. So the mystery becomes why did it work all summer with no issue. Never turned the disconnect off ever. Now all of a sudden the battery is dead overnight, even in a warm shop. Weird... Anyway, I'm calling it good enough. Use the disconnect every night.

  5. #5Multiracer2014-01-29 12:27

    How old are your batteries ? If they are approaching the four year mark you may want to replace them. Sounds like they can no longer tolerate any cycle of discharge.