Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6r III Throttle switch swap for a proper dial or lever???

watglen ยท 2013-08-08 20:31

I could use a dial or lever or something more normal on the D6R III than the fast/slow switch. I know how to set the high idle speed, but it has to be reset every time I use it... pita. Ken

Replies6
  1. #1Construct'O2013-08-08 23:30

    If they didn't want to use the lever thing like on the old machines ,at least it would have been nice to have the dial knob like on the excavators ,instead of the rocker switch that you have to hold for few seconds to set the high idle.No help on the fix.Good luck

  2. #2watglen2013-08-17 20:47

    Cat's official position is "we don't mess with stuff we sell for legal reasons" A service tech got me thinking that a properly selected pot should be able to duplicate the decel pedal pot. So... I pulled the decel pedal sensor off and started playing with it. Plugged into it is a three wire harness with 0, 8, and 13.5 volts to ground. The sensor itself shows 1 kohm, 3 kohms, and 4 kohms from pin to pin, on the 3 pin connector. Problem is the those resistances don't vary as you rotate the mechanism.??? If you plug it in and rotate the mechanism, the engine responds as you would expect. Any electronic experts out there care to comment on how that can be. I am beginning to think there may be more than one pot in the sensor. For the life of me, it makes no sense. Help??? :beatsme :Banghead :idontgetit

  3. #3Cmark2013-08-18 04:55

    Cat throttle sensors don't contain pots. They're pulse-width-modulated (PWM) sensors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_width_modulation It would probably be easiest mounting the existing decel sensor into a custom hand throttle box, but then you lose the decel pedal. If you really want to make the decel multi-turn, either find an analouge to PWM converter circuit from an electronic geek website or, I happen to know that http://www.highcountrytek.com make/used to make them, or you may be able to find a multi-turn PWM control from a marine or genset application. If you want to make the throttle infinitely adjustable AND keep the decel, I'm thinking it may require a software change.

  4. #4watglen2013-08-18 08:00

    Thanks a ton Cmark :notworthy That points me in a new direction. The sensor in question is a spring loaded unit, and is less than 1/8 turn. It would be nice if I could just buy one from cat and mount it on the dash, but that wont work that great either. I didn't figure I could get both sensors working together. That would be too good to be true. Thanks again. Ken

  5. #5Cmark2013-08-18 16:40

    Hows about run the engine at full rabbit, but rig up some sort of adjusting contraption in the cab that physically limits the amount the decel pedal can come back up?

  6. #6watglen2013-08-18 17:07

    Put a mechanical stop on the foot pedal. That would be the method of last resort. The cab is small enough already without adding more hardware to limit door access. I'm used to farm tractor cabs where you have room for the wife and kids. I emailed a highcountrytek, as well as a local electronics supplier. One of them should be able to help me out. Thanks Ken