Our D6R is pushing transmission oil through the breather after the oil is warmed up. Please help
Where is the breather mounted that is pushing oil out? Any chance there are breathers in other compartments that the transmission oil is in? And probably the first question that should be asked are you sure it isn't over full? And one more while I'm asking questions, when did this start? After a service? I'm sure there will be more questions but I'll stop for now!
OK could not help myself, Do you have the full serial number?
Thank you Kshansen, this D6R was working good until a few days ago. The transmission breather is mounted beside the hydraulic tank in the transmission filter compartment . We removed the belly guards and also noticed that the transmission oil is also filling the engine bell housing and leaking through the starter motor more than the transmission breather.
Serial Number..? There are close to 100 different S/N prefixes of D6R, it would be nice to get the right one instead of guessing......... Has any maintenance work been done on the tractor recently, even a service ...? I'm a little surprised that you say the oil is filling the bell housing yet it's blowing out of the breather as well, because if oil is going into the bell housing then the transmission oil level ought to be falling. That's somewhat counter-intuitive. Has someone been topping the oil off..? If yes, then try draining the oil from everywhere in the power train (including the bell housing), refill it to level and see what happens to the oil when you start up again. Again it's hard to be specific without have a Serial Number to work with. With that it's easier to see where the power train oil lines run,
Thanks Nige,I will have to get the serial number on Monday when I go back to work. I found out that there is an oil hose from the Torque converter and another one from the Transmission case and both going to a T piece going to the breather. I am thinking the Torque converter is over filling with oil thereby leaking some of the oil into the bell housing and some oil through the breather since the Transmission and the Torque converter share the same breather. This is just my thinking but cannot figure out the cause for this excess oil in the Torque converter.There was not any work or service done on this machine.This oil leak is draining the Transmission very quick and needs topping up very often to be able to carry the tests. Thank you all for your help.
From your description it sounds almost as if the converter housing is not getting correctly scavenged. There's why the oil is coming out of the breather. It sounds very much like oil is going into the converter housing and not coming back correctly, so the level in the transmission drops. If more oil is filled into the transmission then eventually the whole system is full of oil and that's why it's coming out of the breather. However until we have a Serial Number to work to it's all speculation beyond that point.
I have a 2006 D6R # Gjb000669 blowing transmission oil out vent,
Did you find the problem ?
Clean the screen at the bottom of torque convert for scavenger pump as nige stated
Took hose off that has screen in it at torque converter didn’t find any trash. Did find several gallons of oil run out of torq converter. I put the hose back on restarted the machine same problem. Things I have done so far changed Transmisson fluid, filter and cleaned the screen behind the 4 bolt cover. Still same problem. Previous owner replaced the scavenge pump assembly 3 months ago with a reman from cat
The replacement pump could still be the source of your problem.
A converter leakage test would likely identify if the scavenge pump is not working correctly or if it is simply being deluged with oil from a worn out converter.
Or possibly the torque converter seals are failing and flooding the housing.
This will be a 2-person job. Remove the hose again and drain the accumulated oil form the converter housing then leave the hose disconnected. Make sure you have plenty of oil in the transmission case. Put a 5-gallon bucket under the connection, start the engine and time how many seconds it takes to fill the bucket somewhere between 1/2 & 3/4 then stop the engine. How many seconds did it take to dump how many gallons of oil.?
Do you have 2 pressure gauges.? One capable of measuring up to 250psi and the other up to 100psi.?
At the 26 minute mark of this video he tests filling a 5 gallon bucket; I know it’s a D8; but Nige is this (general) procedure for a D6 too?
Pretty much. Stall it in 3rd gear with the TC drain plug out. I would suggest only doing it for 30 seconds and measure the quantity of oil that drains into the bucket, that way it ought not to spill over like his did.
I don’t.
As a first suggestion, wear in any one or more of the three arrowed bearings.
Thank you. That was my guess bearing failure. I am looking for a used shop manual for my dozer # GJB00669 2006 D6R XL, can’t seem to find one that serial # on eBay. I’m located in Arkansas.
The Cat Publication reference for the GJB-prefix D6R is RENR7960. At the moment I can't see one either, on eBay or anywhere else. A new one would cost $1000 in paper form or $700 on CD. Another option might be to buy a CD, get someone to copy it for you, then put the CD up for sale on eBay for less than the new price. Don't get sucked in by the $65 "service manuals" offered out of Eastern Europe.