5LN D6R. Mechanical 3306. Went to do some work today and seems underpowered but I am also a novice at dozer stuff. Air filter was fine when I checked it a few hours ago and I am planning on changing fuel filter tommorow. I do not know how many hrs the filter has been on. Wondering how to go about checking wastegate operation and boost level? Any other things to check? Thanks
Have a look at this thread regarding fuel pressure and AFR diaphragm. HeavyEquipmentForums
Well it doesn't have a wastegate so you can cross that off your list.
Thanks Nige. I truthfully hadn't even looked at my books or the turbo itself to refresh memory before posting. I will cross wastegate of my list....... Thanks for the link to that thread Cmark. Good info there. This is the first Cat engine I have really been around. I am more familiar with Cummins, Perkins and 60 series Detroit here on the farm.
You could do a converter stall test in 3rd speed forward held against the brakes. Report what RPM the engine reaches. Don’t hold it at stall for more than 10 seconds or so. That should be long enough for it to stabilise.
I will give that a try. I assume 3rd and brakes at low idle and then throttle up and see where the rpm tops out?
Thinking back I now realize no tach readout or at least it's not working
Should be accessible on the monitor panel. there is a scroll switch #2 that shows various modes, starting with the hour meter. There are 3 or 4 modes IIRC
I "Think" I had tried that but will check it out. Thanks
When you select digital display window (1) , the digital display window provides a readout of six digits that shows the following items: Gear Display (default mode) Operational hours (service hours) Engine speed (tachometer) Diagnostic codes Press switch (2) in order to select the system status display mode.
Tach works. I was not holding the button long enough to change selection. 3rd forward brake stall will get to 1600rpm
That doesn't sound too far away from what I recall. To double-check I really need the full machine Serial Number so I can look at the engine test data.
5LN2787
Well the engine produces maximum power at 1900 RPM and maximum torque at 1400 RPM. High Idle no Load RPM is somewhere around 2125. Bearing all that in mind a troque converter stall speed of 1600 RPM against the brakes does not seem unreasonable. I hope others will pitch in with ideas but my next suggestion would be to do a calibration of the modulating valves for the transmission clutches. It's probably a while since they were last done - if ever.... Does it puff a significant quantity of black smoke when you change direction of travel and spool up the turbo.?
I have noticed some black smoke but I would not call it a significant amount. Supposedly about 7000hrs since a full Cat reconditioning is all I know. Is modulating valve calibration something that Cat would need to do? I do have a service manual for the machine.
Not necessarily Cat, but certainly someone who knows what they are doing. Local independent maybe.? There are two methods of doing it. First by using Cat ET which is the simplest, or using a Click Box (aka 4C-8195 Control Service Tool), but to do it that way you REALLY need to know what you're doing.
Hello everyone. Not enough power? What is the engine speed when it pushes a full blade? What is the transmission temperature during operation? Stall Test 1600 rpm is normal. Does the engine produce maximum speed without a load? In my opinion, the low power problem cannot be solved by calibrating the transmission solenoids. It is more likely that the problem is in the engine itself. After 7,000 engine hours, the sprayers on the engine injectors may not spray fuel as needed. If after calibrating the solenoids the power does not increase, I would advise you to replace or repair the fuel injectors, as well as adjust the engine valve clearances.
Echoing what Dmitri mentioned. Go back and do some basics such as going through the valve adjustments. This is all simple stuff that people forget to do.
Like any other tractor it should spin tracks in first gear pushing up a load up a small hill. Otherwise check MAP, IF it sounds close to spec, start by checking injectors and valve lash adjust, while u´re at the injectors measure pot compression, if it has blowby probably u dont need to do that... In case of significant blowby one may check by switching of one cyl at a time to figure out if its just related to one or all engine is worn. Just let u know that we faced a similar problem and all was related to a crap turbomachinery. BTW beeing a 3306 fueling is not an issue as anyone with few knowledge can turn it up a bit, nevertheless increasing fuel with a bad turbomachine will only produce smoke and heat, besides the waste of fuel.... good luck