Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6R track tensioner

precision dirt · 2020-07-06 12:40

Working on a D6R serial # 5LN03395 Needing a service manual breakdown for disassembly. It’s a little different than I’ve worked on and want the be sure about recoil spring procedure. Customer refuses to buy a manual and I’m not gonna get hurt over it. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Replies9
  1. #1Cmark2020-07-06 16:56

    Threaded rod is screwed into the end of the cannon to make an anchor for a hydraulic cylinder. Compress the spring and unscrew the retainer a little. Back off the anchor slightly and repeat until the tension is released. If the retainer is broken, stop and reassess the job. Don't cheap out on your tooling and use good high-tensile threaded rod. It's a high risk operation if you try and wing it.

  2. #2newguy2k32020-07-06 19:46

    If you're just doing an adjuster reseal they're easy as can be and no need to mess with the recoil spring.

  3. #31466IH2020-07-06 22:00

    You don't have to do anything with the recoil if it is just an adjuster. Split the track, roll the idler/adjuster out, replace seals then reverse procedure

  4. #4precision dirt2020-07-06 23:13

    The adjuster is bolted to the back of the tentioner housing. It seems to me the adjuster would have to have pressure on it unless spring is trapped.? I have the track split and complete assembly rolled out but all I have to go by is a parts breakdown.

  5. #5Chisumtrail2020-07-06 23:20

    Spring is trapped, remove 4 bolts that hold 2 lock tabs on.

  6. #6precision dirt2020-07-08 08:56

    Got it done. Can anyone tell me what spec oil goes in tube? Appears to be a heavyweight gear oil?

  7. #7newguy2k32020-07-08 09:16

    50w

  8. #8precision dirt2020-07-08 09:30

    Thanks guys for all your help. I really appreciate it.

  9. #9Nige2020-07-08 09:30

    That would be an SAE50 TO-4 oil, not an EP gear oil. SAE50 is approximately equivalent in viscosity to a 90-weight EP gear oil