Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6r transmission problems

chadg ยท 2016-11-27 18:03

I recently purchased a d6r lgp Sn prefix ADE I bought it knowing the transmission was slipping in reverse. I had a local shop work on it and they ran some pressure checks which all was within normal and recalabrated the transmission and it started working normal. they cleared all codes and I took it and put it on the job ,it ran fine for first day then it started to have a delay and hard shift going into reverse when it was cold. the next day basically the same thing but got worse and it would slip in second reverse then it finally completely lost reverse completely. the only code it has thrown was 030. I am thinking it is a wiring problem or the modulating valve for reverse. they seem to think it is the ecm they said the solenoids usually go out and never return like this one did. I have no service manual yet or wiring schematic to do any checking of solenoids. I have not found a used manual yet on the net can someone suggest the best place besides cat to buy one either actual hard copy or PDF. also could someone post a picture of the modulating valves and which ones are engaged in forward gears and reverse gears. This is a real nice dozer it has 9000 hrs on it and ran great when we put it on the job it will replace my d6c so I also need opinions on what software I should buy to do repairs on the engine and transmission since I do most of my own wrenching. Is cat et the only available software for the machine or are their other options. thanks in advance any help would be appreciated .

Replies10
  1. #1Mark2502016-11-27 19:26

    Hi chadg 030 is the module identifier(MID) there should be a FMI (failure mode id following following 030). here is picture of trans modulator valves no 1 is no 1 clutch and so on the modulators are basically the same and can be moved to another clutch station for testing purposes Mark

  2. #2chadg2016-11-27 21:53

    so to change forward with reverse I would need to swap 1 and 2

  3. #3Mark2502016-11-28 14:33

    clutch #1 and #2 are your directional clutches so that would be right Mark

  4. #4chadg2016-11-30 19:59

    thanks mark I swapped forward and reverse valves and it moved problem to forward, so today I got new modulating valve from cat and installed and all gears work fine. can the transmission clutch pack fill rates be calibrated using the 4c-8195 click box?

  5. #5Mark2502016-12-01 02:16

    chadg, yes you can use the click box .if you want a copy of the procedure pm me your email address or I can post as pdf. Mark

  6. #6Cmark2016-12-01 03:31

    Have you checked/replaced your transmission filter recently? The modulating valves are very sensitive to dirt and more than once when replacing faulty ones, I have found the filter to be blocked. (The filter head has a bypass valve which will open when the oil is cold with a dirty filter)

  7. #7chadg2016-12-01 16:58

    Yes we just replaced all filters new oil and cleaned screens.When we purchased the machine we had oil samples and the transmission oil had 35 ppm iron but the machine had set for over a year so I figured it could be high from moister causing rust. The screens and filters were clean. Could you post the procedure for calibrating the trans please.

  8. #8Mark2502016-12-01 18:46

    hi, trans calibration info View attachment D6R transmission calibration.pdf Mark

  9. #9chadg2016-12-01 21:53

    thanks mark I will give it a try this weekend

  10. #10brad barnes2020-11-16 15:32

    Do you have to pull transmission to get to these valves