Just posted about some questions with a D8R I have. Appreciate all those replies. Now it seems my D6r is using water somewhere or leaking it. Used it one day and the guys said it took 10 gallon to fill it next day. Said it ran hot and at that point water was escaping somewhere. But I'm not sure if it started leaking after it was hot and was getting pushed out of the cap or if it had been leaking all day. I'm concerned its using water some other way. Possibly burning it. What would be the correct steps to diagnose where the water is going?
Pressurize the cooling system to start with. If you have an overflow tube from the filler neck, you can blow into that (by mouth, or carefully if you use compressed air, no need to remove the radiator cap) to add some pressure and see if the water pump is leaking, there's a weep hole in the bottom of the bearing area that lets the coolant out if the seal starts leaking. Hose connections, radiator tubes, core plugs are other common leak areas. If it holds water and slowly overheats over an hour or so of work, then your radiator is probably plugged with dust. Take a look or take some temperatures going in and out of the radiator if you don't think it's clogged-while it's overheating.
I don't think it's running hot because of radiator being plugged. I hope it is but, we filled the tractor with water and was able to work if 5-6 hours without it running hot. Then at end of day checked on water level and it was way low. Apparently going somewhere.
Is the belly pan clean enough you could spot a leak if it was low on the motor or radiator? Weep hole on the water pump, a weak radiator cap could be the culprit as well. If it's dumping that much water that quick there's a sign somewhere. Not going into the oil pan I assume based on the sheer volume it's using. Not leaking form a heater hose or core back farther is it? Assuming it's a cab machine. If you have a pressure tester I'd say pump things up and see where she squirts. Good luck, keep us posted. Junkyard
It's an open cab machine so no heater core. I will pressurize system and look for leak and keep y'all posted. No its no going into oil pan because oil levels haven't changed. What's the chances of it burning it? Can't notice any indication of it getting burnt. Tractor runs fine.
Hey ja what's the serial number of your tractor. If possible dropping belly pans and washing engine area should show external leaks easy with it running once it's clean. check all fluids and run for hour or two and watch to see if transmission oil rises or hydraulic. I know torue converter has its own oil cooler and I'm sure there's others that leak also on this model. Does engine have a lot of hours? If its a c9 a cold start should have some black smoke but should see wHite smoke though it if its a bad head gasket . If coolant system pressurizes in a few moments I'd look at head gasket.
Radiator or a leaky hose. Head gaskets or cracked heads usually have cooling or pressurizing issues if they are leaking that much coolant. Notice I said "usually". My vote is for leaky radiator, hose, something like that.
Serial number is 7GR00538 No noticeable smoke and the coolant system isn't under any pressure or at least it isn't noticeable or excessive enough to blow the cap or push water out. I'm hoping it's a leak somewhere. I will take pans off this week and look for a leak. Tractor only has 4800hrs
You've got an AMOCS radiator in that tractor. Look for leaks in the small shunt lines that link the cores together at the top, and also at the seals where the cores join the bottom tank.
What is AMOCS? Just trying to learn a little.
I would have thought if you were 'burning' that much water during a shift,then it would lock up in the morning or try to hydraulic a good bit.If it did start the next day,then white smoke would be everywhere. My guess is a leak or the water pump thing looks favourite. Remember,sometimes the pump may only Leake when it's switched off at night or teabreak.Make sure the little drain hole is clear in the pump and stick a newspaper under the pump over night. If it's wet without rain,your pump will be coming off. Just make sure nobody wrecks it in the meanwhile.
Advanced MOdular Cooling System. View attachment KnowYourCoolingSystem.pdf Edit. This document is compulsory reading for every young mechanic that crosses my path.
Certainly is, Thanks for posting Cmark...not that Iam a mechanic...or young.
Not to rag on someone I don't know but how can an engine loose 10 gallons of water without the operator noticing? Seems like there would be a very noticeable smell or puddles on the ground. Guess if one was running in a swamp with all kinds of nasty decaying vegetation one might not notice. Other question is was the coolant level checked at the start of the day this problem came up or has it been loosing a couple quarts a day for the last few weeks and now someone decided to do their daily pre-shift inspection? Not sure the S/N but a D6R cooling system should be around 20 gallons so being 10 gallons low is a major problem! And I'm hoping when you say using "water" you mean coolant and that you are not running plain water in this machine.
Here is another link to a good explanation of the AMOCS radiators. -------> http://www.miconindustries.com/es/products/amocs-radiators
Our Komotsu's have 2 radiator caps. Really 3, if you include the expansion tank. Our radiators have the big "fill" cap on top and one hidden under the hood. The hidden cap had a deformed gasket. Slowing leaking, (steaming out) while working and using several gallons per shift. Invisible leak, probably getting blown out by the fan, I guess. Not sure if your machine is similar, but a replacement cap fixed the problem for us. We also stopped adding more fluid via the expansion tank. Just make sure the radiator is full. We were losing fluid by the expansion tank overfilling. But that leak was noticeable.
check water pump if it is ok , then fill it with water leave the cap off and leave it run and watch in the radiator for bubbles, if you have bubbles you probably have a cracked head gasket , my D5h was doing the same thing and it had a fine crack between piston and water passage.