Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6R xl

w38571 ยท 2014-09-23 17:39

I'm looking at a couple of 6R's One is Ser # AAX the other is a 5LN. Other than the model, what is the difference in these dozers ? I there a major mechanical difference ?

Replies15
  1. #1Nige2014-09-23 17:58

    5LN likely to be a bit older, it was produced 1996-2003. AAX was in production 2002-06.

  2. #2cyclone772014-09-23 19:40

    My first Dozer was a 5ln 2000 D6RXl IG it was a great machine, sold it 3yrs ago when it had 15000+hrs! Replaced it with a '05 6RXL AAX machine I have put 3000hrs on this machine and really like it, have had to put a final drive on it and numerous wiring issues, but still a strong machine. Noticeably better fuel consumption from the later model machine

  3. #3Bluetop Man2014-09-23 20:35

    The D6R XL is an indestructible war horse.

  4. #4DPete2014-09-23 22:47

    I think the 5LN was a 3306 engine the AAX is a C-9. I have AAX1326, nice machine but like Cyclone77 above we have had a few sensor issues, parking brake switch, nothing major yet, machine has + or - 8500 hrs

  5. #5Nige2014-09-24 07:10

    Dan's correct. The older 5LN has the 3306 engine, the newer AAX machine has the C-9.

  6. #6cyclone772014-09-24 08:21

    The newer AAX machine has the newer style "pilot" controls for blade/winch hydraulic functions which is a great upgrade if you are sitting in the operator seat all day long, much less fatigue at the end of the day!

  7. #7w385712014-09-24 09:04

    Are the C-9 a computer controlled engine or just an electronic engine ?

  8. #8Nige2014-09-24 10:01

    As far as I'm concerned a computer-controlled engine is an electronic engine. But to answer your question the AAX machine has a fully integrated electronic system for the engine, powertrain control, and the Monitor System. There is an ECM for each one, so a total of 3 ECMs on the machine. The 5LN machine has a mechanical engine, the rest of the machine (powertrain & monitor system) is basically the same as the AAX.

  9. #9w385712014-09-24 11:49

    a total of 3 ECMs on the AAX machine ? What do they control ? The guy says it's got original hours, can this be checked thru one of the ECMs

  10. #10Bluetop Man2014-09-24 13:27

    DPete, Mind telling me how you diagnosed that parking brake switch malfunction? Have a similar problem with a D4G, but am not getting any responses to my thread. Cat dealer yesterday told me there are over a dozen sensors on a 4G that could be the problem, so without the CAT diagnostic software ($1300/yr.) I am starting blind on this one.

  11. #11Nige2014-09-24 14:04

    3 ECMs - one for the engine, one for the powertrain control, one for the monitor system. Each ECM should have a "Diagnostic Clock" on it (not 100% sure about the Monitor System but certainly the other 2 will have). The DC values for each ECM should tie in with the hour meter reading on the dash panel. They are never exactly the same but are usually within 50 hours or so.

  12. #12DPete2014-09-24 19:14

    I had the dealer hook the ET up, wish I could be more help. The trans lost 1st gear in both F and R so I sent it in for diagnosis and the codes showed parking brake switch. Apparently the switch malfunction had to do with the trans ecm not letting the 1st gear shift. I would have never guessed that on my own, sometimes the machines out smart you and you have to get help. This is another example of costly complex machines of today

  13. #13w385712014-09-25 08:13

    Thanks

  14. #14w385712014-09-25 08:34

    Do you know where the ECM are at on the machine & how to scroll thru to the clock on each ECM ?

  15. #15Nige2014-09-25 08:39

    The only way to access the Diagnostic Clocks in the ECMs is by using Cat ET Diagnostic Software connected to the machine diagnostic port.