Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6R XL II fault codes

R Massey · 2019-01-26 21:49

I posted this same problem back in Sept, but still having issues. The three codes my machine is showing are : 036 0164.11--Injection Actuation Pressure fault 036 0168.04--Low System voltage for the powertrain 036 175.04--Engine Oil Temp short to ground My machine is missing at low idle and lack power at low idle. When I am pushing a load and press the throttle down to shift to reverse, tractors wants to die and sometimes does. If it does die, the only ways to start are with either or let sit for about an hour and it will start. A mechanic came out cleared the codes and replaced the oil pressure sensor, thinking this could be the problem, it was not. Next day I replaced: Injection Actuation sensor Injector harness Atmospheric Pressure sensor Boost pressure sensor Nothing changed when I started engine except I now have 2 new codes: 0300819.02 and 036 0266.02 In the morning engine still misses (not as bad), but when temp gets to about half is when problem starts. I am wondering a couple things: 1) if one battery is bad, will it cause voltage problems? 2) Can I assume that the problem is between the sensor and the main harness to the ECM, since I have replaced most all sensor relating to codes, I have been messing with this problem since Sept. and seems to be getting worse,Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2019-01-27 08:40

    I checked back on your previous thread about the same machine. For the info of others the S/N is AAX00576, here is a link to the thread - HeavyEquipmentForums A couple of questions first: - 1. Did you ever change the engine oil & filter..? If yes, did it change anything..? If not I strongly suggest that you do it before proceeding further. 2. Did you drain any accumulated water & sediment from the fuel tank..? If not, recommendation as above. 3. What Diagnostic Codes do you have Logged/Active at this time..? 4. How many total operating hours does the machine have..? Regarding your questions above. I can't see how replacing the engine oil pressure sensor would fix a fault relating to the engine oil temperature sensor. Maybe what you wrote is not what you intended to write. If a battery is bad, or going bad, it may briefly cause a Low Voltage Diagnostic Code when you first turn the key to the on position, but so long as the engine starts there should not be a low voltage condition when the engine is running. I think that your two new Codes 030 0819.02 and 036 0266.02 are likely related to the work you did replacing the injector harness and the IAP sensor. I don't think you can assume that the problem is between the sensor and the main harness to the ECM just because you have replaced most/all of the sensors relating to the codes. It is looking extremely likely that the electronic system is behaving perfectly and reporting exactly what it is seeing. MID 036 CID 0164 FMI 11 Conditions That Generate This Code: The Electronic Control Module (ECM) detects one of the following conditions: The actual injection actuation pressure and the desired injection actuation pressure differ by more than 3 MPa (435 psi). The current to the injection actuation pressure control valve is at either the maximum output or the minimum output for an excessive period of time. Note: The diagnostic code indicates a mechanical problem. The ECM and the electronic control system are operating correctly. System Response: The ECM will log the diagnostic code. The diagnostic code may be viewed on a display module or on the Caterpillar Electronic Technician (ET). Possible Performance Effects: Low power Unstable idle Difficult to start at normal operating temperatures Easy/easier to start below normal operating temperatures Attached the IAP Test Procedure. Having pretty much eliminated the possibility that the Diagnostic Codes are related to the electrical/electronic system I now think your problem is likely to be related to internal leakage in the injectors, in the IAP Control Valve, or a loss of efficiency of the HEUI pump due to age/wear, or a combination of all three. An Injection Actuation Pressure Test is the next step.

  2. #2R Massey2019-01-27 09:21

    1)Yes have changed oil and filter. Have changed fuel filters numerous times. 2)Yes, drained water in fuel tank 3)036 0164.11--Injection Actuation Pressure fault 036 0168.04--Low System voltage for the powertrain 036 175.04--Engine Oil Temp short to ground 0300819.02 and 036 0266.02 4) around 14,000,checked by mechanic. I have only owned for 5 months In my post in Sept, the alarm goes off and the low oil pressure dash warning light flashes. Mechanic checked pressure and was fine, so decided to replace the oil pressure sensor thinking that was problem or part of problem. It was not, light still comes on when alarm goes off.

  3. #3Nige2019-01-27 09:37

    You've ticked most of the boxes, it's time to get serious and do the complete IAP test as per the attachment above, especially to do it under the same conditions as the ones that create the Diagnostic Code, dozing uphill and/or when decelerating top change direction IIRC. With 14k hours on the machine it's probably about the time for a HEUI pump & injectors, especially if they are original, but it will hit you hard in the back pocket and I wouldn't like to suggest simply replacing them without doing due diligence. Does your mechanic have Cat ET..? It's impossible to perform the IAP test correctly without it.

  4. #4R Massey2019-01-27 09:56

    Yes, he has a Cat ET. Is there a way to check HEUI Pump for failure without removing it?

  5. #5Nige2019-01-27 10:02

    Part of the test involves comparing the “Desired IAP” as calculated by the software with the Actual IAP. Any significant difference will indicate there is internal leakage in the injection system.

  6. #6R Massey2019-01-28 21:46

    Mechanic coming out Friday, Let you know what we find. Thanks

  7. #7R Massey2019-02-08 23:08

    Had 1 bad injector, #3, but since I didn't know when the last time they had been replaced, I replaced all 6, They had reman injectors, so I am assuming they had been changed at least once. Also replaced HEUI pump. I believe the pump was the problem back when I first posted in Sept, and the one injector recently went bad. I say this because it does not shut down when shifting and engine recovers quickly when I depress throttle pedal. Runs like a different machine. Thanks for all the help.

  8. #8Nige2019-02-09 03:44

    Thanks for the update. I hope your wallet recovers soon .........