Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6R XL s/n- 5LN02028 park break won’t release

Cody Legrand ยท 2023-02-12 10:23

Hi there, first post. I have a D6R that I can't get the brakes to release. Has quite a few codes stored. Had the right final rebuilt and when it came back it only ran for a few hours and brakes locked up. Removed the axles and got it back to the yard. Found alternator overcharging and a few broken wires to service brake switch, park break solenoid, and alternator battery terminal. Repaired and now when you release park brake switch it does indicate released on the dash and solenoid has power 25v & magnetized. Service brake switch when not pressed is not energized / magnetized but when fully pressed and switch activated it has 25v & magnetized. If you have the machine at high idle and 1st gear you can power through the brakes especially if you upshift to 2nd and then back to 1st. Is there a way to manually release brakes or test the pressures? I did not see any test port by the brake solenoids. Thank you in advance. Serv codes are listed in the pic. Don't know how to clear them but alternator, service brake, and park brake have been repaired.

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2023-02-12 10:47

    Which of those Codes are Active.? In other words when you scroll through the Codes, for which ones does the SERV CODE icon in the top RH corner of the monitor panel light up.? I'm guessing it is not the whole of that list. I'll send you an electrical schematic. You may need it. If you want to erase all the Logged (non-Active) Codes to make your list more manageable then see Page 3 of this thread - HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2Cody Legrand2023-02-12 12:12

    30 0271.05 113 0298.02 113 0621.02 Those are the ones that still show active.

  3. #3Cody Legrand2023-02-12 12:17

    The service brake switch is unplugged now due to lost power going into it from the red wire. The fuses in the battery box are all good. Not sure if there is more. And the down shift button has been hanging up so that may be the issue with the code 113 0621.02

  4. #4Nige2023-02-12 12:27

    I would suggest to use the schematic to trace the power supply to the switch, fix whatever is the problem, then reconnect everything and check the Active Codes again.

  5. #5ahart2023-02-12 12:28

    See attached files for information pertaining to testing.

  6. #6Nige2023-02-12 12:32

    It shouldn't do. The switch has three contacts, Common, NO, & NC. The two wires between the NC & NO contacts and the ECM are the key. The ECM has to simultaneously see continuity on one wire and open cicruit on the other. If it sees continuity, or open circuit, on both wires at the same time, then it will create an FMI02 Code. That could indicate a problem either within the switch itself, or in the wiring between the switch and the ECM. Based on your OP I sould suspect the wiring but don't lose sight of the fact the switch could also be bad.

  7. #7Nige2023-02-12 12:55

    Here's the procedure for the downshift switch.

  8. #8Cody Legrand2023-02-12 13:05

    Thank you for the info. I will check that out next time I am there.

  9. #9Cody Legrand2023-02-12 13:06

    Thank you. I will test that when I get back out to the machine.

  10. #10tctractors2023-02-12 15:08

    Peddle limit switch and park brake switch power 2 coils that work on 24 volt, peddle control is running on P.W.M. voltage this is the top coils on the brake control valve, to test the brake pressure try the test port on the transmission back case, there is pressure test ports on the brake control valve that you can reach through the back with a struggle, don't be tempted to mess about trying to remove the blanking plugs on the top of the final drive to main case mounting, also check the priority control valve near the spider drive shaft, you will need to drop the belly pan for this task. tctractors