Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6T blade width

Crooked Lakes · 2024-12-01 10:12

My next question is how blade is too much? Looking at a D6T LGP with 196” blade. Curious on people’s thoughts

Replies27
  1. #1Nige2024-12-01 10:15

    It all depends what you propose to do with the blade would be my answer.

  2. #2Tinkerer2024-12-01 12:07

    I don't think there is such a thing as "too much" It depends on the skill of the person operating it. IMHO of course.

  3. #3Oxbow2024-12-01 12:50

    It's an LGP, so it will be great at LGP work but poor at any production dozing, pioneering, or rock work. Lots of side leverage and maybe less capacity than a narrower but taller blade, at least when used in slot dozing. Hard material will be difficult, and it probably doesn't have a ripper. Cleaning up windows, shaping, and soft ground are what it was built for, and it won't be bad for receiving loose material.

  4. #4Nige2024-12-01 13:22

    It's the longest D6T blade listed. As @Oxbow says above, it will be great for scratching around doing LGP work but pretty useless for any really serious dozing unless you want to break something. View attachment 326763

  5. #5Oxbow2024-12-01 14:39

    If it has apex or triangular track pads it will really only be good for soft/wetland use.

  6. #6Shimmy12024-12-01 14:52

    I think your conversion is wrong. Widest blade I can find available for a 6T is 4500 mm, or 177 inches. It is a load.

  7. #7Nige2024-12-01 15:36

    See the illustration that I posted above for the D6T LGP. 16’-6” is 198 inches unless I got my calculations wrong.

  8. #8Nige2024-12-01 16:35

    It appears as though the illustration did not copy the first time. Try again.............

  9. #9Shimmy12024-12-01 17:19

    Jeez. Obviously model creep has hit these 6Ts hard. A 16' blade on a 25 ton dozer. The literature I was looking at only showed a 4500 mm blade.

  10. #10Nige2024-12-01 17:50

    I agree. Quite frankly I think that blade is going to be about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike for any sort of serious dozing work. I see trouble ahead.........

  11. #11Old Doug2024-12-02 07:44

    What are you mainly going to use the Dozer for?

  12. #12Crooked Lakes2024-12-02 08:57

    Use on the farm pushing trees ,hoping to build a few dugouts, clean up some old ditches that I am unable to seed through. Wondering if it was a typo, 169 instead of 196”.

  13. #13Shimmy12024-12-02 09:03

    It will be fine for the ditches and dugouts. If, however, it is a PAT blade, I would highly recommend pushing nothing bigger than bushes, those blades are meant for dirt, and you will find out why if you push trees.

  14. #14Crooked Lakes2024-12-02 09:10

    Has a ripper, here’s a look at it

  15. #15Nige2024-12-02 09:26

    Well for a start the LGP tractor is 10'-6" wide measured over the outside of the tracks. From your photo I think I see at least 2-3 feet of blade hanging over past the tracks on the LH side. I'm pretty sure that blade is 196" wide as described in the ad. Try to push any substantial trees over with that and you will break something expensive PDQ. IMHO it's really the wrong tractor for your needs. What you need is NOT an LGP tractor - unless you have really soft ground conditions requiring additional flotation. If that is the case see the XW model as an option. I think you need either a D6T XL (8'-0") or an XW (9'-2" over the tracks) model equipped with either a 6S or 6SU blade somewhere in the range of 11ft wide. There are various options available

  16. #16Oxbow2024-12-02 10:15

    That is a lot of tractor for what you want to do with it. It has new system one track chains, and a ripper like you said, which is a bit unusual for an lgp. It does have an angle blade rather than a VPAT so it will probably hold up well. It appears that they have worn the cutting edges down too far previously, but as long as they can still bolt new edges on you would be okay. I would suggest a D6N size for what you want to do. Easier to haul and quite a bit handier for small work. Some do not like the System One track chains but I have them on my D6T and have had no problems. They seem to ride rougher on firm ground, but not a big deal. Oil field tractor from Alberta by the looks of it. Probably a lot of idle time, but otherwise decently maintained maybe?

  17. #17Crooked Lakes2024-12-02 10:19

    I was unsure if a D6N would dig a dugout, we have pretty tight clay where I’m at.

  18. #18Oxbow2024-12-02 11:45

    Pretty tight clay and LGP don't go well together, but at least you have a ripper. A smaller dozer in non-LGP configuration would likely be better suited in my opinion. I am not sure what you mean by dugout, but I shouldn't think it matters. Maybe @Shimmy1 knows?

  19. #19Crooked Lakes2024-12-02 12:09

    Digging a waterhole for cattle where spring runoff would fill. 100’ x150’ 14’ deep( rough values)

  20. #20Oxbow2024-12-02 12:48

    Well, it would certainly do the job, and you will utlilize the heck out of the ripper doing that I suspect.

  21. #21Tinkerer2024-12-02 13:39

    I spent some time on D6N LGP's. They all had angle blades on them. I have never seen a blade on any LGP tractor like the one in this discussion. I find it interesting that it has a power tilt capability. That would be quite handy for different soils. Even more so when pushing dirt up a steep slope. It was always frustrating to push a full blade of topsoil up a slope and not be able to empty the blade. Here is another view of the op's tractor in question. I would expect that there is a lot of hard use - and wear on the powertrain.

  22. #22Shimmy12024-12-02 14:46

    If you have any kind of groundwater (which you really should for a dugout), digging your pond that way is going to be a real b!tch. You'll get the first few feet off pretty decent, but pushing mud up out of a wet hole is almost a fool's errand. It has new pads, which will help tremendously, but I would be finding an excavator. It really sounds like you need two machines for what you're wanting to do. A 25 ton hoe, and a 12-15 ton dozer. That 6T has to be a $200k machine I'd think?

  23. #23Oxbow2024-12-02 14:56

    Is that really power tilt like on a D8 with dual tilt cylinders? I would have guessed just dual tilt without the ability to change pitch.

  24. #24Crooked Lakes2024-12-02 15:14

    Maybe closer to $150 Canadian, I didn’t make an offer yet, to many questions. Thanks to all for their input. Greatly appreciated.

  25. #25Nige2024-12-02 15:47

    I just looked that blade up through one of the systems. Confirmed it is 196" wide.

  26. #26Tinkerer2024-12-02 16:00

    Hopefully it would do both. I don't see why it would need a cylinder on each side for it to tilt only. The pads on that dozer appear to have had new bars welded onto the old pads. One of the bars has a section broken off and they went ahead and painted over it. I know from experience that D6 LGP pads get thin and break when they get a lot of hours on them. The tracks on that D6T LGP need a close inspection for the extent of wear on them.

  27. #27Nige2024-12-02 16:15

    If you mean the one in the first photo that's to identify the master shoe. The second photo shows what look like brand-new shoes to me.