Hello, I've got a 2008 Cat D6T (LAY765) I use on my farm. It runs great, but lately there have been a couple alert indicators illuminated on the dash that worry me. I included the link to the picture of the alerts on the dash below. According to my research, the two alerts are for the following: 1. Hydraulic Filter Restriction -- This alert indicator is illuminated when the hydraulic oil filter is bypassed. I have changed the cartridge filter in the tank twice and replaced each time with Cat filters. I have changed the spin on filter 4 times. I have changed the hydraulic oil and replaced with Cat HYDO Advance 10 Replaced the bypass pressure switch with Caterpillar 253-2673 Switch AS 2. Power Train Oil Filter Bypass -- This alert indicator indicates that oil flow is bypassing the transmission filter. This alert just came on last night. I have changed the transmission oil filter in the last 30 days and it was clean. Question: What do I need to do to fix the machine to make the alerts go away? I appreciate any help! https://goo.gl/photos/JngrnkmwfpjVVDxG9
First question. Have you ever had any oil samples from the two systems analyzed, especially for large particle contamination (aka ISO Code)..?
No sir. Is this something I could accomplish with a Cat SOS oil sample kit? Or would I need to send it somewhere else? I have never done anything like that before. THANKS
Yes an SOS kit will do the job. I'd sample everything on the machine while you're at it. Keep that up consistently and you may catch a major problem before it becomes one! You will need to run the machine to temp to make sure you don't get a bad sample where things have settled. I prefer to use a small hand pump the bottle screws into. It has a slim hose you can stick down a dipstick tube to suck out a sample. Keeps chances of contamination low. Follow instructions in kit, mail it off. Couple days you'll have results in your email and a few after than a hard copy in the mail. Junkyard
If you are getting plugged filter alarms then the first thing I would do is have some SOS samples analyzed to see what the true state of the oil is. I'm not sure if the Particle Count (ISO Code) is included in the standard analysis. You would have to ask your dealer, but even if it is not standard then I suggest to have it done anyway. Does the tractor have any Diagnostic Codes showing on the Monitor System..?
There's also the possibility you have a bad sensor or a shorted wire, or a bad connection in the sensor chain. Do the SOS samples for sure. Also ask Nige nicely for a schematic and see if the two sensors for those alarms are on a common circuit back to the computer. If they are, investigate further.
Still waiting to get the oil samples back, will post back when I do for sure. Bought a few of the SOS kits and the probes for the live sample ports, but the guy didn't tell me I also needed the $3 black holder deal that slides over the probe...so that delayed me a week by the time I finally got time. Thanks to all for all the help
What's weird is I only get the alarms after I've been pushing dirt for an hour or so, about when the hydraulic temperature gauge rises off the low end maybe. It definitely has some codes, I will get them asap and report back. Thanks again for help. I wish I had checked before I sent the samples off, hopefully they do the particle count standard.
Holy moly, this thing is about to fall apart I guess! I don't have a click box, but I ordered one on eBay just now. Here are the codes it has right now. The red exclamation mark has always been on and blinking. None of these codes have an accompanying message on the display like I've read you'll normally see serv code or something if it is active...? Thanks 030 ---- 0096.03 0248.02 E0179.1 E0179.3 113 ---- 0299.08 0673.02 0585.02 0468.03 0168.04 E0281.2 E0116.2 E2115.2 E0594.2
Here are the results of the testing of the fluid samples. I'm still waiting for the click box to show up in the mail. I'm going to change the transmission oil this weekend and then see how it goes.
So I changed the transmission oil and filter again, and I also cleared out all the stored codes. This evening was the first time since then that I've been able to run it. Runs great, but after about 20 minutes the hydraulic filter restriction indicator came on and after an hour the powertrain filter restriction indicator came on. There are no codes. Should I carry it in to the Cat dealer? I cant believe the filters are actually clogging up and then unclogging after I turn the key off before they come back on after the same amount of time. Any other ideas or things to check? I guess it could be electrical... I wonder where it could be? I put two new cat brand batteries in it a couple months ago. Maybe I should put all new blade fuses in the fuse box. Maybe those particular wires for those two circuits are corroded somewhere or something. Thanks
Are you using CAT filters? I've used some other brands before and most of the time successful but I did have a low fuel pressure issue on a D 6 T after running for a couple of hours or so. Took the off brand filter off and put a CAT filter on it and never had the problem again. For some reason the off brand created more differential pressure, filter material was denser? Not sure.
Good thought for sure! The filters are oem CAT though...but thanks for the idea anyway, I appreciate it.
I'm leaning in this direction for sure, will be digging into this
So I got the bright idea to go out there to try unplugging the sensor connector after the light comes on to see if that changes anything. And then I found the problem. Haha. I think a rat had chewed both of the wires in two. Never even thought to look down in there.
... and the meek shall inherit the earth... little buggers
So the transmission filter bypass indicator kept illuminating after about an hour every time I used the dozer. Ended up calling Cat out and as it turns out there was a problem with the ECM. Cat replaced the ECM and it has been perfect since. I thought I would update this thread just in case someone has a similar issue and decides to do a search. Good luck.
Thanks for the update, glad you have sorted it. Looks like a fine machine from that picture.